Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Just Add Lightness fog light fitting problem

AntonyH

I’ve just bought a Just Add Lightness fog light. Problem... the hole in the rear skin isn’t big enough to release the existing fog plug with the fuel tank in place (have already unplugged from the loom).

Any solutions other than (a) taking a file to the car or (b) taking the fuel tank out?

The original fog has 6mm spade terminals inside the light so these could come off and the wire could go out the other way, but the JAL unit doesn’t.

I guess I could cut the new wires and add said spade terminals.

Anyone found / overcome this issue?

The original fog has 6mm spade terminals inside the light so these could come off and the wire could go out the other way, but the JAL unit doesn’t.

I'd certainly start with something along those lines. How are the wires connected inside the new unit? Would there be room inside for some small inline connectors?

Jonathan

Hi Anthony,

If I can help by supplying anything else then please let me know. If you want to convert the original spade connectors to the new type econoseal type then I can supply a female econoseal connector and terminals for you free of charge.

If you need to cut the wires to convert to spade connectors then you will not invalidate your 1 year warranty on the fog lamp. Alternatively, if you're not happy cutting the wires then I can swap the fog lamp for one with spade connectors fitted or if you prefer, no connectors at all thus allowing you to use the wires as you see fit. 

Let me know if there is anything I can do as I am always happy to help.

Doug

Thanks all.

Not that keen on disturbing the tank, something about shuffling several gallons of petrol I’m wary of, no idea why...

*laugh*

Someone else has pointed out that the lump on the plug that’s causing the problem is intended to let you secure the connectors to a hardpoint in a vehicle, which isn’t done here - therefore said lump could be removed.

I’ll be trying this approach first, next time I give it a go (it’s gone cold and grey out there now!).

Cutting wires and fitting spades in the new unit would be easy enough but would also mean enlarging the hole out the back, to get the spades through, so if I can sort it with minor econoseal butchery, that’ll be the easiest and best approach.

If you screw the screws back into the captive nuts and gently pull the screws with a pair of grips to bow the bodywork outwards is there enough room to turn the plug to remove it ? 

Also when you refit the LED I found a tiny pinch of blue tac to hold it in place when you fit the lense .

• Leadership Team

Antony, if use a very fine screwdriver (e.g. from a precision screwdriver set) you can pop out the inner shroud on the plug then release the pins, the screwdriver will be fine enough to depress the tab on the pins to release them. They come out of the plug at the rear. With the plug removed you'll easily get the wires through and just reassemble when the new light is in place.

Stu.

Thanks Stu - but there’s not enough slack in the wire to get the plug down and clear of the car, so that’d have to be done with the plug still in the tiny gap between the tank and the sideskin.

I’ll also investigate John’s suggestion and see if I can turn the plug, to see if that helps.

Ta

if it helps confidence wise I was like you concerning moving my petrol tank, did NOT want to touch it , now I am a relative expert (by my standards) , it's a lot easier than is at first apparent, and you get to service the bits that don't usually get serviced like the soft pads underneath and check for other unpleasantness, which in my case was a bolt etching it's way into the tank wall.  Step 1 (optional) is burn off much of the fuel.. ;-)   that said #8 sounds like the one.