Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400d Cat Removal

Manstein

Just altering the exhaust on my R400d and was wondering if anybody had any tips for getting the spring retainers off. My first thoughts were para cord to heave on but any other ideas. Too strong for me to remove by finger power !

Thanks

• Leadership Team

Hi, Strongish string through rear of spring loop, wrap around wood for grip, pull back over hook.

Apply elastoplast to busted knuckle if string isn't strong enough. 

Thanks for the suggestions after careful inspection I noticed the springs have tabs that when pressed allow a bit more 'stretch'. The top one came off without trouble but the bottom one battered by years of road grit isn't cooperating. I think the string method will have to be attempted as rhauri comments the spring loops are narrow.

I had to tackle this job the other day too. In the end I managed it really easily once I'd settled on using cable ties. You can position a few of them around the spring and progressively tighten each one until the springs are totally compressed. They act in much the same way as Spring compressors do on conventional suspension.

you can then put the springs back on really easily as well and simply cut the cable ties to get the spring to tension up again.

Tom

...cable ties.

That's a neat idea -- thanks, Tom.  I'll try it next time I swap out the cat.

...high temp sealer?

Well, I don't but some folks swear by it.  I suppose it depends on how snug a fit the primaries make in the collector.  Leaks there can confuse the lambda sensor and lead to over-fuelling.

JV

I used mole grips to pull springs off but on new car the decat pipe hooks required me to screw the spring over the wire ends to effectively lengthen sping ends so it could be pulled over hook, made it much easier