Click here if you are having website access problems ×

TO PETTY STRUT OR TO NOT PETTY STRUT?

DrivRich

I have just fitted my FIA roll over bar on by CkD build but am tempted to leave off the front diagnol so I have more space passenger side - I know know this to be the Petty Strut.

Following on from the Caterham Aerobatics thread on Chit chat, why fit a Petty Strut 🤔 What is it for 🤔 Is my FIA bar still an FIA bar without it *confused*

What do the MSA rules have to say - if anything, and what are the practicalities *confused*

Any takers please 🤔

Dave

Saw a 7 *cool*

Hitched a ride in a 7 *eek*

Ordering a 7 *wink* - Done that now

Will Own a 7 😬 - First Week of 2003 - Got Her Now 😬 😬

Membership Number 6640

I take mine off for the road and put it back on for each and every hillclimb/sprint. I doubt it's possible to get a passenger in there with a petty strut in the way!

For competition your FIA bar is still an FIA bar without the petty strut. I feel it just gives that little more protection in the event (gulp) of a rollover so use it when I'm driving to the limit ie competition.

Ken

Dave & Ken

From recollection I don't think the FIA is still an FIA bar if the petty strut is not fitted, I'm sure I read something that the bar only officials passes the FIA test if the petty strut is in place, from a practical perspective this make it hard to carry passengers but when competing as Ken as mentioned I ALWAYS fit the petty strut.

If you look at it from the other perspective why would the petty strut be available & provided if its not needed??

Graham

*confused* Competition Secretary *confused*

*cool* Lydden, Curborough, MIRA, Llandow, Loton Park, Curborough, Aintree...What more can you ask for? *cool*

Geddaway Graham! You're far more experienced in this area than me but what about track days where we're supposed to use and FIA bar and yet nobody fits the petty strut due to passengers being carried? I expect there's a little relaxation on those occasions.

Ken

If one has the time and patience to remove the petty strut every time one needs a passenger seat then that is ok.

For me, I lack the patience and take too much time to do it so I've decided to keep the strut and remove the seat.

To be honest it makes me take my son to my mum and avoid risks in the se7en so that's a good thing. However I love his company in the car and I'm sure he's missing the rides as he's already complained. I did not try to fit the seat with the petty strut as I was not happy to imagine Matthew banging his head against it.

The petty strut does make the roll bar so much stronger and a little closer to a cage so for racing I think that's really necessary.

Antonella *smile*

1998 Caterham Classic

(Malta)

my site here

Not giving anybody in particular a hard time you understand, but I am simple amazed at some peoples thinking process *thumbdown*

Why worry about whether something is 'legally' required or not.

The petty strut gives the roll bar added resistance to bending. It also adds rigidity to the space frame.

No brainer really - pun intended *thumbup*

STILL waiting for my BRG SV kit. 😬 ONLY five weeks to go now - nearly there *thumbup*

Ken

When I go to trackdays I fit the petty strut, the club stipulate the FIA bar as it has the diagonal/lateral braces whereas the standard one does not, its also hard to get tuition if the instructor can't get in the car.

I think its personal choice, for me as I said before if I'm competing and the red mist is about to descend (especially if I'm competing against my brother) then the petty strut in securely in place as Tony quite rightly said 😬NO BRAINER 😬

Graham

*confused* Competition Secretary *confused*

*cool* Lydden, Curborough, MIRA, Llandow, Loton Park, Curborough, Aintree...What more can you ask for? *cool*