Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedometer

Rex

Well, I finally got the speedometer dash light. Ian from Caerbont gave me the number and I was able to find one in Florida. It seems to fit, but no matter which way I turn it the grommet will no longer fit over it. It seems to be locked in alright, but I can't seem to get the speedometer back into the dash. I was able to remove it from the dash, but have had no luck getting it back in. I've tried taking it through the steering wheel(momo) and above it below it and around the sides. I've put a fair amount of 3 in 1 oil on all the sticking points, but still no luck. It looks like the momo steering wheel is held on by some allen screws, but I've had no luck getting them loose. I thought I should ask for help before I try to stick a broomhandle between the dash and the wheel to try to gain a little more space. Of course the worst thing would be to break something. Jim (slow-witted and puzzled)

A bit more on the problem, please, Jim.

... the grommet will no longer fit over it.

Is that the "grommet" that goes round the instrument at the point where it contacts the dash? Or the cover over the switches and the lampholder?

Refitting the instrument... why isn't reinserting the reverse of removal?

... the momo steering wheel is held on by some allen screws, but I've had no luck getting them loose.

What tool are you using?

I'd give them a good spray of penetrating oil (not WD-40). Then try with a hex bit on a wrench. Beyond that... have you got an impact screwdriver... but I'm worried that that feels a bit violent. You could remove the whole upper column...

Jonathan

The grommet is the cover over the switches and lampholder.  George Alderman, the dealer I bought the car from many years ago thinks the problem in getting the instrument back into the dash may be that I brought it into the house to clean it up and it may have expanded slightly. The car is in an unheated garage and it is about 15 degrees fahrenheit. I took the gauge back outside so it can cool down. Jim

Did you replace the lampholder as well as the bulb inside it ? If so ... Is it bigger ? If the same lampholder ... nothing has changed ! You could remove the clamp between upper and lower parts of the column just beside the pedal box in the engine bay and pull the steering wheel into the car a few inches. Just be careful it doesn't come through with a jolt and break your teeth.

Well, when I bought my car from him in 2007,he was 75 I think.  He still travels around the country attending races and generally is a lover of life. Caterham pulled his dealership from him for a couple of years during that shake-up they had because they said he wasn't aggressive enough. People here in the states complained mightily because he is so well liked. Caterham came to their senses and gave his dealership back to him. That made a lot of us happy.