Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Brakes

p.mole1

New discs all round, the only reason I used silicone brake fluid was I thought that was already in the system.

The brake fluid was bright green! I have never seen that before and have no idea what it was. The car had been serviced by the seller and it stated silicone brake fluid had been used. I only noticed a problem when I started to bleed the system and what came out was like oil and water. If I can't get the brakes any better I will strip down the master cylinder.

Hi Joanathan, I now have the system full of Automec silicone fluid. I first bled the system using the existing fluid,the caliper was still full of fluid and I bled the new flexible lines before connecting them to the caliper using the brake pedal to bleed the rear calipers.

The fluid level was near the minimum marker so I purchased a Litre of silicone fluid to top it up. I then used a vacuum bleeder to flush out all the old fluid.

Hi Jonathan, I haven't touched the car since the 15th, it's MOT has expired and I have been at work. The pedal is better but it still feels very slightly spongy but it has been like that since day one and I have no idea what what it should feel like? Interestingly if I if I apply the handbrake as hard as possible the brake pedal is 100% better. 

It's booked in on Monday then hopefully I can have a go at bedding the pads in if the weather improves, its snowing!

When you changed rear pads and used the windback tool to retract the pistons ... It is vital that you don't touch the handbrake lever or adjust the cable until you have pressed hard on the brake pedal to get the ratchet adjuster in the rear calipers to take up the free space. Then adjust the handbrake cable.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out for a 100 mile drive round Kielder yesterday and brakes are now much better. I think they just needed bedding in, the MOT tester wasn't impressed with them. 

I have noticed the rear pads are not wearing very evenly,almost like the calipers are not parallel to the discs,the wear patterns are different on all 4 of the rear disc surfaces?, seems like the rears have not bedded in fully.

• 3 weeks later...

Well done. Glad you've found the problem and thanks for sharing.

We should have suggested that after #32.

The excellent Alcester Racing 7's page doesn't explicitly emphasise that alignment when describing refitting pads although all of the information is there somewhere. That's one of the reasons we need multiauthor wikis: that check could have been added by now.

Jonathan