Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Radiator fan not coming on problem (R500K)

mark_w

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had exactly this problem on my R500. Your car isn't mine is it? Did you buy it from Sevens and Classics a couple of months ago?

Mine was originally supplied with the "normal" fan switch, but Caterham did a free upgrade to all R500's of 2000/1 vintage to make the ECU control the fan at a much lower temperature. 74 degrees IIRC. When they did the change they left the original connectors lying around as they were redundant and connected the fan via a solenoid. 

When I rebuilt my car I reconnected the original terminals as they had a white plug that fitted and didn't notice the "spare" terminals on another wire at the bottom of the radiator. Result - radiator fan didn't come on. After much agonising I finally "found" the new connectors. Connected them to the fan plug and Hey Presto! All was as it should be.

So, have a really good look around the back of the radiator to see if there are any connectors that don't appear to be used. IIRC (and I may well not) one of these was attached to a thick brown wore that came from the solenoid. What I can tell you is that if the car has had the ECU control upgrade (and it looks like it has) then the plug that fits the plug on the fan is not used and should not be connected.

did look for the old connections with no joy . but I'm going to work with RJ's diagram and kind offer of help on this as its also the upgrade and like the idea of controlling the temp through the Ecu and its what i have and with a little work should work out well. will get to sorting this at the weekend

Anthony thanks for the video link and going beyond the call of duty in those temperatures! that's exactly the same as mine just with my wires going to the wrong side of the battery and the wire going to my fan cut at the relay end.

Slipper man didn't get mine from S&C and had for about 3 years now. Interesting what you say about controlling the temp around 74 deg C hopefully when all reconnected and if the temps are still set in the ecu can see what temp my fan comes in at