Click here if you are having website access problems ×

The old bouncing speedo...

Bottrill

Evening, All

Hopefully a simple one...

When I start the car the speedo bounces and then hesitates, often sticking at around 60mph for a few seconds whilst I'm sat on the drive. Once I pull off all seems normal.

I've tried using the search but I'm hoping someone can point me in a more specific direction. I've heard an "Earth mod" mentioned a few times?

It's a 2003 R300.

Thanks,

Lee

Hi,

Definitely nothing on the rear wheel hub. Gearbox however shows this...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/c0151198/IMG_9030.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/c0151198/IMG_9035.jpg

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/c0151198/media/IMG_9030.jpgIt has the Caterham 6 speed box. Im unsure what that is in the last photo but there is a bit of movement/play. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Lee

That's electronic off the gearbox. All of the parts are replaceable or repairable.

Traditional round instrument with needle?

When I start the car the speedo bounces and then hesitates, often sticking at around 60mph for a few seconds whilst I'm sat on the drive. Once I pull off all seems normal.

All other gauges behaving fine?

I'm guessing but that sounds most likely to be a fault in the instrument, except for:

... there is a bit of movement/play. Is this normal?

If it's like the mechanical angle drive it can be difficult to snug up on the thread but after it's up I wouldn't expect any play. See if you can tighten the collar.

Then I'd inspect, disconnect, clean and reconnect all of the electrical connections you can spot, both there and at the instrument.

And after that if it works the rest of the time I'd stop there until it got worse. Then I'd send the instrument to John Ostick for testing.

Jonathan

That's great, thanks Jonathan. 

Yes all other gauges are fine. Yes it has the traditional round gauge with needle and electronic mileage reading.

could you explain what that second picture actually is? Can I do any of it any harm trying to tighten it up or cleaning the contacts of the connectors you see in the photos? I'm assuming the digital mileage reading is stored in the speedo? 

Sorry for the basic questions.

Lee

I'm assuming the digital mileage reading is stored in the speedo? 

That's what I'd assume too. (I don't know if the value can be tweaked when repairing or replacing, John Ostick would.)

Can I do any of it any harm trying to tighten it up or cleaning the contacts of the connectors you see in the photos?

With reasonable gentleness I doubt it. :-)

Jonathan