Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Class 2 clarification.

Wingnut

Hi

After last Septembers excellent introduction to sprinting, myself and my son have entered the series in class two this year, I just have a couple of things I need to clarify:

My Car is a pretty standard 1.6K series supersport, but with the addition of Vernier cams, Jenvey throttle bodies with a Bernard Scouse airbox, and also an Emerald ECU. I am safe with the Vernier Cams, and know that I will have to put my supersport ECU back in place of the Emerald ECU. The rules say that 1.6K series engine is allowed a larger throttle body, I guess the clue is the singular throttle body, so I am pretty sure the Jenveys and the Bernard Scouse airbox will have to go to be replaced by the original plenum, but I would just like to confirm this as I was pretty sure I saw a class 2 car at the introduction to sprinting day with Jenveys installed (although I could be wrong on this one).

I also had a 4-2-1 exhaust system without a CAT fitted, but as she is a 2000 car I have swapped back to the original 4-1 with a Cat for the first few events, I am in discussion about getting a Cat in a Can made up for the 4-2-1 system, I am pretty sure I will be safe with this, but do not want to waste any money on this in case I am wrong.

She has the FIA bar, class 1a Tyres are in the post (A539's), The white number backing has arrived and I have decals for the ignition cut off and the tow points, can anyone think of anything I may have missed.

Thanks

Wingnut.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Speed Championship.

A 1.6K Series Supersport must run with a standard plenum.

The following modifications are permitted to Rover K series 1600cc engines: camshafts , vernier camshaft pulleys, larger throttle body, the use of forged pistons or K16 cylinder head porting retaining the standard valves.

The following modifications are PROHIBITED to Rover K series 1600cc engines: The use of VVC or VHPD cylinder heads, reprogrammable ECUs e.g. Emerald (other than that specifically allowed below), VVC plenum chambers.

So for yours .

• Vernier cams, - Permitted
  • Jenvey throttle bodies with a Bernard Scouse airbox, - Prohibited
  • Emerald ECU. - Probihited

put my supersport ECU back in place of the Emerald ECU - Yes

The rules say that 1.6K series engine is allowed a larger throttle body, I guess the clue is the singular throttle body, so I am pretty sure the Jenveys and the Bernard Scouse airbox will have to go to be replaced by the original plenum - Correct.

but I would just like to confirm this as I was pretty sure I saw a class 2 car at the introduction to sprinting day with Jenveys installed (although I could be wrong on this one). - You will have seen a Sigma which is allowed with throttle bodies.

I also had a 4-2-1 exhaust system without a CAT fitted, but as she is a 2000 car I have swapped back to the original 4-1 with a Cat for the first few events, I am in discussion about getting a Cat in a Can made up for the 4-2-1 system, I am pretty sure I will be safe with this, but do not want to waste any money on this in case I am wrong. - You are Correct, CAT required which can be a CAT in a Can.

She has the FIA bar,  - Don't forget the petty strut and sticker.

Class 1a Tyres are in the post (A539's), - Good. 

The white number backing has arrived - You don't have to have the white background but it does help numbers to be seen.

decals for the ignition cut off and the tow points - Good, don't forget Front and Rear Tow Points.

other things to think about, Timing Strut, and if your petty strut is the centre mount type its best to put some Roll Bar padding on the top half of the Petty Strut.

Any questions please feel free to ask, it's what we all went through.

Hi Simon

I never got it set up on a rolling road, but DVA reckons on around 150+bhp, after going from the standard supersport to the Emerald, vernier camms, Jenveys and Bernard Scouse airbox I would say she definately had a bit more power, but the most notable thing was the greater spread of power and torque acrosss the range.

Its not a bad thing for me and my son to go back to the standard supersport spec, he has been driving a Fiat Panda 1.1, although this has recently been swapped for a Mk1 MX5, and neither of us have done any sprinting before, so we will see how we get on, although I have just aquired a 52mm throttle body to replace the original 48mm one, not sure that this will make any great difference though.

Various comp secs have proposed to simplify and change to a power based arrangement for class 1-3 but it has consistently been voted down, if competitors do want to simplify then they need to consider what needs to be done, any pros or cons and make a proposal for the 2019 regs, its then again in the hands of the competitors to approve or reject.