Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bleeding brakes ... and she's fired up!!

MattWoking

Remember if the gauges sweep is 3/4’s of the gauge it’s a CAN bus gauge (unlike the conventional 1/4 sweep gauges).   The 1/4 sweep gauges are more effected by poor earthing.   I don’t have a wiring diagram for the 3/4 sweep gauges, so not sure if the signal is coming from the Taco or ECU, either way your going to need more than a multimeter to diagnose the CAN gauges.

As it’s a new build I would let CC look at them during PBC.  It won’t be the first kit supplied with wiring faults, mine had wiring problems with the ignition switch and no wiring at all to the start switch.

I went through and checked all earths and all look fine.   It's only the petrol guage which isn't moving at all, so thats the only one I think may potentially have these issues.  I fired her up again and took her for a quick blast around the private road I live on -which is fair to say was interesting!

The guages didn't change at all, so I'm at a loss now, and think it's probably best for the PBC to look at these.  The car blew white smoke for a while which I think was just steam as it didn't hang around, and had a really strong hydrocarbon odour too.  I noticed this morning though when I dropped the kids off to school, my 1 series BMW had the same odour (it's pretty new) so I'm unduly botheredabout that.  Worst thing was though, the bloody cycle wing fell off!  I attached using Sikaflex, and gave it 72 hours to dry, but for some reason it just hasn't bonded.  So I'm thinking aout going down the bighead fastener route - currently messaging them about buying some in low volume.

Fantastic to get it out on the road though - the speedo / rev guages worked fine and all the other electrics are working as expected.  Although I never went over about 15 mph and 2k RPM, could already feel the rawness of the car and the connection between driver and road which I experienced on the test.  Can't wait to get it through PBC / IVA / DVLA and take it for the first proper blat.

Worst thing was though, the bloody cycle wing fell off!  I attached using Sikaflex, and gave it 72 hours to dry, but for some reason it just hasn't bonded.

1. How did you prepare the surfaces?
  2. Which Sikaflex product?
  3. Did you make a sausage roll or only a sandwich?
  4. How cold was it?

Jonathan

I used Sikaflex 521.  It was only the left one which came off, the right one still feels stuck fast.

Both surfaces were sanded to make a roughish surface.  I intitally put on a long length on top of the stays then once I had them in position I filled up the sides to make a more thorough job of it.

It's been around 3-8 degrees where I live.  As the right one still feels stuck fast, I may just try and reglue it, but obviously the worst thing that could happen is that one or both fail during IVA.

I think I may need to just do a full "start again" as the right wing seems perfectly fine.

I wouldn't assume that the other one is secure.

I'd redo both, including:

1. Preparation to bare metal.
  2. The preferred Sikaflex adhesive.
  3. Keeping the temperature within the recommended range for the recommended time.
  4. A full sausage roll.

Jonathan

• 1 year later...

Back online again after a hiatus .... A long way down the track now.  The updates

1. All the wiring stuff on the guages - I suspect Caterham ballsed it up when they supplied it.  I'm fairly confident that the petrol, temp and oil pressure were wired to the wrong guages.  

2. I paid Caterham to do the IVA and I'm glad as it failed first up - something wrong with the handbrake not applying equal pressure.  

3. Grommets.  No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get some of the bastards in.

4. Headlights ... they weren't happy with my wiring.  Which is a bit upsetting as I spent hours on that and thought it looked ok.

Lots of other things were wrong which they replaced under warranty.  Battery, brake master cylinder and clutch were all faulty and required replacement.  I didn't have to pay (good) but it did take a while.  I think it was close to 3 months from pick up at mine to me picking up at the factory.  And then as soon as I got it home, I noticed oil everywhere.  Turns out there was a "pinhole" in the sump which again was fixed under warranty.  I didn't expect perfection, but I do feel that the list of things which were faulty was quite excessive.

However ... I'm now 1000 miles in which means I'm past the running in stage (changing gear at 4k rpm got boring) and boy are we underway.  Not taken on track yet, as I'm still learning to drive it.  Each time I head out for a blat, I discover something else about the handling characteristics of the car.  Learning very quickly where the edge is and how to drive as close as possible.

Next steps ... finally make it to a club event, and then on a track day / learn to drift day.  Seen quite a few other Caterhams on the road around me, unfortunately I'm usually in the family wagon, but on the times I'm the 7, there's always lights flashing and waves.  Great little community we have here.

In the meantime, if anybody in Surrey knows some good places to head out for a blast (which isn't overrun by lyrcra clad crazies) then let me know ... I think the people who live around Foxhills / Chobham are rather sick of the sight of me by now ...