Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6 Speed gearbox speedo drive

p.mole1

Were can I get one ? it has come apart were it fits onto the gearbox. It is the 90 degree mechanical drive and has a steel washer which is soldered to the drive,this is located to gearbox with a circlip. I could try to re-solder it but I am assuming the drive cogs will be nylon.

Also does anyone know what car the clutch release bearing came from, it must be a Ford but I can't figure out which one.  While I have the gearbox out does anybody know how much play there should be on the first motion shaft? is it supposed to be like this? bearing in mind the other end is supported in the spigot bearing.

Thanks Graham there is a bewildering number of clutch release bearings. The Burton Power angle drive is £114 yikes.

Hi Wrightpayne I don't think Caterham stock the part anymore it's not the top hat, at least on my gearbox  They do sell a brass threaded adaptor which  fixed via the circlip I am assuming this would allow me fit the commonly available threaded 90 degree drives if there is enough space? 

Changed mine recently. Got the parts from Burton Power - much better than the original Caterham parts:

FORD ELECTRONIC SPEEDO SENSOR REVFSS 

REVOTEC ELECTRONIC SPEEDO ADAPTOR: FORD GEARBOX REVT9-A

CIRCLIP - SPEEDO CABLE RETAINING: TYPE 9 5 SPEED, TYPE E 4 SPEED (ROCKET), TYPE 2 & TYPE 3 GEARBOXES GBT9550

Hi everyone thanks, my drive is the mechanical type but a change to electronic may be an option in the future. The 90 degree adaptor is made by VDO and it has a thin washer soldered to one end. This is located to gearbox with a circlip. It looks like a bit of bodge and I think I may have broken it when I tried to remove the speedo cable before removing the gearbox. I have managed to re-solder it and it still works! I don't think this is how the drive was originally manufactured  and it may have been repaired but it has worked for the past 2 years so I'll put it back in and hope for the best .