Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Graduates spring rates

elie boone

• Area Representative

Elie

The https://www.graduates.org.uk/ will know, I'm sure. 

The rears on my 1996 Crossflow Scholarship car are the progressive "standard" springs.  I have a set of spares (taken from my 21 which wallowed a bit with the progressives due to the additional weight at the back of the car).

From the regs (link as above):

b. Rear: Live  Axle  (baffled).  Lower  A  frame  and  upper  radius  arms.   Standard progressive coil springs over Bilstein dampers (Caterham part No: 75524).
c. It  is  permitted  to  fit  adjustable  spring  platform  kit  (Caterham  part  no.  DSSU01).  Addition  circlip  grooves  may  be  machined  into  the  dampe  body  to  allow  for  ride
height adjustment.

So the springs are the standard ones fitted to Billies, with the adjustable dampers as an addition.

If you've got Spax dampers then it's probably not standard, or not a Classic Grad.

It won't be a Classic in 2005 - was that a typo?

Caterham Classic Graduates Class Springs and dampers

(i) All cars:

a. Front: Standard Classic with additional link and 5/8"anti-roll bar. Standard linear coil springs over Bilstein dampers (Caterham part No: 75522).

b. Rear: Live Axle (baffled). Lower A frame and upper radius arms. Standard progressive coil springs over Bilstein dampers (Caterham part No: 75524).

c. It is permitted to fit adjustable spring platform kit (Caterham part no. DSSU01). Addition circlip grooves may be machined into the damper body to allow for ride height adjustment.

(ii) Options for 1995 – 1998 specification cars:

a. Front: Coil springs over adjustable rate Spax dampers.

b. Rear: Coil springs over adjustable rate Spax dampers.

c. It is permitted to substitute Spax dampers with adjustable spring platforms. Part number G775-AS180 (front), and G776-AS180 (rear).

d. Springs are: 170lb to 200lb, 8 inch length, ID 1.9 inch. 

Hmmm... not sure about that Roger.

My 1996 X-flow, purchased from Kim in 2000, had Spax dampers fitted, without adjustable platforms. I cannot remember if the dampers themselves were adjustable. I replaced them with the optional parts defined in 5.8.1 (ii) ©. This allowed me to set the car up properly with a corresponding improvement in grid position.

I suspect Spax dampers were fitted to X-flow Scholarship cars & Bilsteins fitted when the VX engines were introduced (1997?), but I have no evidence to support my premise. I wonder if Andy Mac knows.

Edit: Too slow, beaten by Charles again.........!