Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cluck cluck

Paul Mason

Don't worry, not another Christmas turkey joke........have heard a noise when starting my 1.8k from cold (which, as I bought the car in October and live in the North, it's always been cold thus far). Thought it was a "clack clack" as the tappets filled. As oil pressure spot on (c. 70 on tickover immediately after starting) and as the noise goes fairly quickly (c. 90 seconds) didn't worry unduly. However, started the car today to cure a bit of silicon I've put on the exhaust primary joint, with the nose off and the car on stands and the "clack clack" is actually a "cluck cluck" seemingly eminating from the dry sump pump (a Pace one). Noise went and oil pressure all spot on as per usual. Is this usual for a pace pump? The clucks seem to be in time with the gushes of oil back into the top of the oil tank? Thanks as ever in advance

The noise is not from the either of the oil pumps it comes from the rear main oil seal as the Pace system is correctly set up as a sealed system, meaning at idle the scavenge pump is capable of pulling a good partial vacuum in the crankcase, so air enters momentarily via the rear main seal.

As RPM increases so does piston blowby so the level of crankcase vacuum is reduced hence the seal is no longer deformed as a route of entry for air.