Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tin Top polish.

Nigel Riches

OK can of worms time.

I have previously been using Simoniz Liquid Diamond or Hard Wax, but this now seems to be extinct here in the Antipodes, the only Simoniz polish available is the Original version, which looks a lot like the furniture polish my mother wiped across the tables and chairs.

Loads of places flogging Mothers and Meguiars, and good old Turtle wax.

Now I liked Liquid Diamond as it worked easily on the tin top and the 7, the Turtle wax might give a good protection, however, it was a lot more elbow grease to do the job ( lazy git ).

So gentlemen, I open the debate, which is your preferred polish variety, please don't confine the responses to the above mentioned brands.

Thanks and regards. 

Nigel.

• Leadership Team

Nigel, when you say "which is your preferred polish variety" are you specifically meaning "polish" or just a general term? My established process which I'm now very happy with is ....

1. Autoglym clay, followed by ...
  2. Autoglym Super Resin Polish, followed by ...
  3. Autoglym High Definition Wax

The High Definition Wax adds a very hard shell that from experience can protect the paint from minor bumps and scrapes, on one occasion I'd taken the tiptop to my paint guy to assess a door scrape after another car had rolled into it (car park mishap involving a lack of handbrake!) ... he simply polished out the marks and commented that due to the wax I'd saved a paint job!

Stu

I separate the polish and wax products. After clay bar'ing with Bilt Hamber I use Menzerna polish to correct swirl marks etc then Dodo Juice hard candy wax. This wax buffs off easily, doesnt leave white marks on plastic trim and water beads nicely after application.

Something like Autoglym super resin combines the polish and wax in one application. I use this on the seven.

As you say there are lots of products out there and everyone has their own approach. I google'd a top 10 car polish review and in UK halfords own polish came out well in the test.

Ian