Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wandering Temperature Gauge

Paul Mason

Recently bought a 7 and one little foible is that the temp gauge (a Racetech unit) once its up to temperature wanders around between 75 and 85 degree. Will go up to 85, then quite quickly drop to 75 and after 20 seconds or so, go back up to 85 in another 10 seconds or so. Whole cycle takes 30-35 seconds and happens pretty much continually.

Car doesn't seem to run hot - fan kicks in at about 90 if stationary or driving slowly (10mph down the street to the house & parking up occasionally), so potentially a non-issue. Not sure if the car has a thermostat to be honest. I have nothing other than my own curiosity/lack of knowledge making me ask the question

Just after thoughts/experience/knowledge as to whether its not worth worrying about, a potential gauge issue, a sender unit issue (though no idea where it is) or something potentially that needs further digging?

Thanks in advance

Paul

What engine is it?

You can sometimes get this temperature cycling, especially in cold weather with a K Series. My K VVC used to do it quite a lot. It's caused at least in part by the unusual design of the K Series cooling system with the thermostat on the return from the radiator. You can get into a situation where the water in the bypass hose is hot enough to cause the thermostat to open, then you get an inrush of a large volume of chilled water from the radiator which results in a large drop in temperature, the thermostat closes hard and water continues to circulate round the bypass hose steadily getting hotter until it repeats.

If that's what you're getting, it's probably not doing the head gasket any favours. K Series head gaskets don't respond so well to repeated temperature cycles. This kind of issues was one of the reasons for so many head gasket failures in the MGF where the long cooling pipes from the mid engined installation made it worse. Eventually the repeated expansion and contraction can lead to failure of the elastomer sealing bead.

There's a common modification which involves drilling a 2mm hole in the top part of the thermostat flange, which is normally done to prevent airlocks getting trapped in the thermostat housing during filling, but I also noticed in my case it was enough to completely cure the temperature cycling. I guess with the thermostat closed it allows just enough residual flow to keep the radiator contents gently circulating and preventing them from overcooling, reducing the thermal shock when the thermostat opens.

If you search on here for drilling the thermostat you will find plenty of info and pictures.

If the gauge uses the poor quality Caerbont electrical sender .... single wire sender on the water rail nearside of engine just behind and above the exhaust primaries ... they are notoriously unreliable and can be short lived. Worth replacing that first.

Well, that’s one positive at least......I think it’s got a mechanical oil pressure gauge so at least that isn’t going to be a problem (he says in blissful ignorance potentially from a standpoint of believing the oil pressure gauge is actuated by a oil pipe from the bottom of the filter housing, though the large oil pressure light on the dash I think is actuated by the electric sender switch on the top of the oil filter housing so guess that could be prone to fail). I’m going to look for the sender and replace then move onto the thermostat mod and am optimistic that it’ll sort it.

Pretty sure it’s not a huge issue on account of lowish miles at the mo, just one of a myriad of little things I’d like to sort ready for next year

So, had nose off to discover what I am pretty sure is a QED remote thermostat. Thermostat in place just in front of top left (from the rear of the radiator) connection (hot in?) into a Radtec aluminium radiator. Behind it is a sensor (not sure if this is for the temp gauge or the fan switch - left hand side on pic below)

Given this set up, would the advice to drill a 2mm hole in the top flange of the thermostat remain or would this point more to the sender as the issue?

E7506661-89A7-471C-8C79-959DB5B1D2EF.jpeg.f322f31f5b4060a2afd89eea0060930c.jpeg

Thanks SM25T

I’ll get one ordered and start there. Seems like the easy start point. Car is driving perfectly well and certainly not overheating, done getting on for 200 miles in the last week and other than the wander between 75 and 85c I have got nothing other than lots of smiles! Just want to make sure everything tip top and doing no harm to anything

I had a similar problem on mine and it turned out to be a bad earth connection.  Given the sender is just a resistor that varies with temp then it may be a bit of corrosion on the threads creating a high resistance connection.  Give it a good clean and see if that helps - could be a simple as that .... mine was. 

Thanks Smiffy, will be starting there ta 

Am also wondering if the coolant system is just very effective as a potential “cause”......radtec radiator, remote thermostat, seemingly re-routed pipework and no heater etc. so when temperature comes up and triggers thermostat, system cools fairly quickly

The car warms up pretty quickly (water anyways, oil takes longer) never seems to get too hot (only time over 85 is when going very slowly or parking up, in which case fan kicks in at about 92 and temp drops down..

That said, still don’t like seeing it so will got fettle