Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Facet fuel pump electrical supply

blueyedbiker

Morning Jonathan, the current fuel pump is a hole in the side of the block - the engine is fresh from Vulcan so it'll be a Facet 40105 solid state pump as supplied by Mick at Redline.  No information about current draw on the box or instructions but I wouldn't imagine it'd be that big.  They talk about it being wired through an oil pressure switch but I thought I'd put in a toggle switch.

Assuming they didn't leave the wire out of the loom you might find a white/purple wire sticking out of the loom somewhere around the rear bulkhead where the pump is normally mounted, to the nearside.  If it's there it should be fed from a fuse in the main fuse block.  It all depends on whether they used a universal loom.  You can find the wiring diagram for '95 chassis cars, what may not be the same as yours but should give you a clue here.  The Ford engined cars had a mechanical pump like yours so the wire isn't shown on the wiring diagram but if you look in the Vauxhall cars you'll find the fuel pump (item 54) with its white/purple wire.

If you mount the Facet on bobbins to keep the noise down don't forget to bridge a wire across to chassis for the 0v.

If the wp wire isn't there, take a fused supply from the ignition wiring.  Use a 15A fuse as the original 10A would blow at very inconvenient moments.  Do consider a cutout switch wired in series with the pump supply and mounted on the engine bulkhead to stop the pump in the event of a crash.

Paul

If it's there it should be fed from a fuse in the main fuse block.  It all depends on whether they used a universal loom.  You can find the wiring diagram for '95 chassis cars, what may not be the same as yours but should give you a clue here.

That's clever. If the fuse layouts are accurate they'd changed by 1998 and were the same for Ford, Vauxhall and Rover.

If the wp wire isn't there, take a fused supply from the ignition wiring. 

If there isn't anything more convenient you could use a piggyback fuseholder.

Use a 15A fuse as the original 10A would blow at very inconvenient moments. 

Why is the only specified maximum current I could find for that Facet pump so much lower than for whatever Caterham fitted?

Thanks

Jonathan

Well, hopefully they all have the same pump wire and, maybe, the fuse holder.

The 95 manual specifies a 15A pump fuse but I seem to recall that a 10A was fitted for some reason.  There have been various discussion on BC over the years about the need to uprate to 15A which solves the problem of it blowing.  It may be that the average current is low but the peak is much higher and the fuse gets 'tired' after a while.

I run both my swirl pot injection low pressure Facet red top and high pressure pumps off the same 15A fuse and have never had one go in 18 years *smile*

Paul

Thanks for the info.  No obvious wp wire down there, just the feeds for lights and fuel tank sender.  I like the idea of the piggy back fuse tap, I guess that having replaced the fuse with the 'tap the original fuse goes into one socket on the back and a suitable one for the pump in the other socket?  Very neat.

Google fuel pump inertia switch and you'll be spoilt for choice  Either that or go to a scrappy and get the minitimer connector as well.  A local motor factor will probably have one but you may need to give them a car make and model, so make one up.  Old Rover 200 and 400 models, and lots more besides, had/have them.

Caterham have them but they come with a mounting plate and are at least 50% more expensive than on ebay.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2017 7:20 AM
To: p.puleo@facet-purolator.com
Cc: Jonathan Kay <jonathankay@mac.com>
Subject: Cube Fuel-Pumps | Motor Components, LLC | Facet Purolator

http://www.facet-purolator.com/cube-fuel-pumps.php

Please could you tell me the recommended fuse rating for a 40105 in a road
car?

Thank you 

Dr Jonathan Kay

Hi Jonathan
Thank you for your email. A 3 to 5 amp fuse is what we recommend.

Paul Puleo
Motor Components, LLC
National Sales Manager
www.facet-purolator.com