Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing front lower wishbone bushes

fatal3rror

Hi Jonathan, yeah I have the assembly guide with the instructions. Guess my question was more about how to get the bush out and if there is a straightforward method I am missing?

Will have a look through the archives and see if I can find something of help!

... how to get the bush out and if there is a straightforward method I am missing?

The textbook method is to use a press. But that probably means removing the suspension member and taking it to one.

The clever DIY method is to use threaded studding with washers and nuts to press the old bush out from the member and the new one in. But apparently some of the holes aren't true and the forces can be surprisingly high...

Jonathan

Whilst I stand to be corrected, it looks like the lower wishbone will need to come off.  You may get the old bush hacked out in situ, but I'd suspect that the new bush will need a press / a lot of force to get into position.  Looking at your photo, it's not clear but do you have a large washer between the rear of the bush and the chassis?

What chassis type is it?

I have a 98 dedion and mine has 4 washers as spacers - yours seems to have a black plastic / rubber spacer which doesnt seem right.

I also wonder about the economics if the wishbones need powdercoating too - maybe opportunity to go widetrack! I've changed the A frame bushes which needed a bush press, specially turned drifts and a lot of force to get the old out and new in. Can always sell the old wishbones - the racers usually buy them up!

Polybush maybe an easier alternative - I'm sure some on here have fitted them.

Regards

Ian

I did this job over the winter. If it's a supersprint the bushes are rubber cone shapes. Part code y9. That is what the black plastic piece is that looks like a washer. Its actually a the same rubber bush you can see at the front but squashed flat.One pushes in from the back and one from the front. They fit over a metal tube that protrudes forward from the chassis and is what the bolt you can see at the front screws into. The wishbone must come off to remove the cone that fits from the back. This part was easy as these bushes work out with a little pursuation. The metalastic bushes that are in the back of the wishbone were a different story. They were very stiff and needed cutting or pressing out. They were slso very stiff to fit the new one. Also be careful when removing the wishbone. You need to undo at the rear and pull the rear through the side skin before you can manouvre the wishbone forward to get the front of the wishbone over the metal tube and release the cone at the back of the front of the wishbone. When you move the back of the wishbone through the sideskin you will need to flex the wishbone to prevent it damaging the sideskin. Hope that is of some help.