Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bonnet rubbing paint on body

L777JDP

Hello,

Sorry if this is a repeat of an old topic, but I couldn't find anything on it by searching. I have a 2013 Roadsport 140. It seems that the bonnet has been rubbing on the body in a few places so my assumption is that the foam tape that's on the body isn't thick enough, and probably sticking another layer on top of the original should sort the problem out.

Before launching into that I thought I'd check if there is a better solution. One alternative would be to put the same tape on the underside of the bonnet.

Thanks in advance, John.

I think doubling up the tape will put undue strain on the rear bonnet clips, causing the bonnet to deform.

is the rubbing visible when the bonnet is on? If not I wouldnt worry. Mine only has tape on nosecone and scuttle. None between side chassis tubes and bonnet where there is quit a bit of fretting.

Ian

John,

I had the same thing on mine when I built it.  I removed the foam at both ends and put wider foam on there.  You can just about see the foam I put on there but then again I don't get any rattles or paint scratches any more.  I used the same thickness foam.  I got it from Car Builder Solutions.

sm-DSCF1752.JPG

Andrew

I bought paint protection film from PPG when I built my car.  There was a little bit of excess on the side sheets and so I used it for odd areas such as where the doors rub and on the bonnet where the stud from the door lands when the door is open.  An A3 sized sheet of film should do the trick.

A slight aside, I have just put TOYO R888R's on the car this weekend and I have noticed a lot more stones being thrown up onto the bonnet and the sides.  On a plus side the tyres are superb and have totally changed the car, on the down side I do now have 3 tiny chips on top of the bonnet from today's drive.