Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Porsche 996.1 Carrera 2 Manual Coupe WHY?

New Cat

Be careful - the 996 up until the 2nd generation 997 had an intermediate shaft with a bearing that was quite keen to eat itself and some pretty serious overheating issues on the number 6 cylinder. 

For more detail call Autofarm - they do an LMS replacement ceramic bearing and the job can be done in situ, about £1400 when I did mine a while back. 

996 cars are quite cheap meaning plenty are bought on a budget and not very well maintained, a worry when things like air an conditioning condenser will rush you £600 (and there's two!). 

There are some great cars out there but you need to tread with caution. 

Thanks Christian, eyes wide open! This will be my 3rd Porsche and I'm the most anoraky careful buyer!

Its likely to be a long search, but Blatchat sometimes turns out some good, well maintained cars so I thought it worth a try. 

I too am always on the look out for a known good one of these - my wish list is:

- sub 70k miles

- 6 speed manual

- non-sunroof

- non-AC (but noone ever spec'd that)

- factory GT3 aerokit nice but not essential

I started looking for Carrera2 under £15k but they are creeping up so I would also consider a Carrera 4 that matches this spec.

I previously had a 993 C4S - but it was thirsty and too nice to use in anger (or leave anywhere for that matter), so that went in 2012

I currently have a 968 Clubsport to keep in with my fascination for Porsche-stuff until such time a nice 996 comes along. (and I must admit I've become quite a convert to the old transaxle cars - they are much easier to live with and work on at home - that is the 924/944/968, although I exclude the 928 from this list as that is quite complex in areas).  They are all on the rise though - I couldn't affford my old 993 today, and wouldn't pay the premium for the Clubsport version of the 968 these days if I didn't have one already.  Its a bit like the 996 - I started looking for a GT3 4 years ago when they bottomed-out at about £35k - today they are all well over £50k and I'm happy the let them go elsewhere for that and find the tidiest C2 around for more like £15k which is becoming difficult - all cars worth having are already £20k+with dealers in my experience.  Yes the IMS bearing will need addressing on anything that isn't a Turbo or GT in the 996 range - and ALWAYS use the best fuel you can get to avoid the reported bore-scoring issues associated with supermarket & higher Ethanol content fuels.  Although I notice Shell have changed their formula to inclued 5% ethanol in Vpower lately so I'm investigating the formula of BP at the moment to continue to run the best.

Good luck - and any 996 you spot that look good or not for you - drop me a link, thanks

Try Portiacraft. They're a well known independent used Porsche dealership with two Porsche trained mechanics on the staff. It's run by Harry The Bastard as he is almost affectionately known. They certainly used to offer a guaranteed buy back price for peace of mind.If they haven't got what you want in stock they may be able to source a good example for you. Peter

I'm not looking for quite such a garage queen and am a bit more flexible about spec / mileage (apart from must be a C2 manual coupe) as I want a decent usable car to drive, allow the kids in! and enjoy.

Hence, I'm keen to hear about any L7C members looking to move their cars on.

Thanks,

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted this on ebay - what are your thoughts on it as I keep taking a look. Just read the pistonheads thread on the 350k miler 996. Very encouraging though you need a reasonable maintenance budget.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-911-996-CARRERA-2-MANUAL-74k-Miles-/252957668081?hash=item3ae573b2f1%3Ag%3AeW8AAOSwBt5ZJwtd&_trkparms=pageci%253A357de90e-4d3c-11e7-bc2e-74dbd1808341%257Cparentrq%253A8dfb229415c0ab6b4469f1cdfffc9635%257Ciid%253A12