Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma 140 broken down.

Wodybode

I've done a few hundred motorway miles today on my way to the Dunsfold handling day and after a brief stop the engine is banging and popping and running as rough as anything. The exhaust is extremely hot too. I'm currently in a layby letting things cool off. The engine will run smoothly after start up for about 1 minute. Any ideas?

I'm between Slinfold and Rudgwick on the A 29. Just had its annual service this morning but that was just oil and filter etc. and I've done over 100 miles since then. Been on the motorway all day mostly at 80-90 ish. 

Great news, enjoy tomorrow *smile*

I almost suggested the lambda, but when mine failed (after hitting a badger) it ran fine accelerating hard or on the overun, but just became really unpleasant when trying to cruise at a constant speed.

Hi Jonathan,

the wiring all looked good and there was no damage. I have to say I made a couple of phone calls from the roadside to assist in my diagnostics to Dave at Gemzoe motorsport and Callum and Tim at Sevens and Classics who pointed me in the right direction and reassured me it would be ok to run without it connected. 

The biggest clue was that the engine ran perfectly for 90 seconds after starting as the mapping ignores the sensor for that time period after which it then looks at the input from the sensor and makes adjustments. So I knew the engine was fine and it was a management issue.

I must say I was paranoid that running without it would cause damage to the engine or cat so pestered a number of people at the handling day for reassurance, so to those people thanks for your input.