Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crash Helmet Track Days, R500(Kevlar seats) Do I need a spacer for comfort

DRH

Hi chaps

Looking for a  crash helmet for track days seems confusing as to what to buy, obviously it is nice to be safe, but comes at a cost. seems the SA2005/2010/2015 helmet is the best in regards to role cage bar head collisions?

Seems crazy that all the various track events have quite strict guidelines, but never seem to check anyones helmets.

Then on the forum a post mentioned how with the Tillet seats, your head is pushed forward so it is uncomfortable,  fitting a spacer to the seat alleviates this problem apparently?

I believe the R500 Kevlar seats are based on the Tillet am I correct?

Please, any comments would be most helpful. 

I have tillets in my car and yes if the seat isnt tilted back with spacers your head/helmet is pushed forward by the seat as the early ones were'nt really designed to be used with a helmet.  This makes driving somewhat uncomfortable.  To tilt mine back I have about 50mm of plastic kart seat spacers between mine and the runner, I've also got a foam (bag seat) insert to support my back.  Simple and cheap fix.

Regarding helmets, a snell race helmet isnt cheap, I know, I've just bought a new one, and isnt really required on a trackday when you arent wearing nomex pants.  In your position I'd probably use the rock hard FIA cage padding and buy a good quality motorbike helmet, that fits well, that's the important bit.  A motorsport helmet has a fire proof lining and generally have a smaller visor aperture, relative to a motorbike helmet.

For what its worth, I have an ari gp6 and a hans type device as you cant be too safe.

I hated the Tillet with my head pushed forward. I used Tillet spacers to try and lift the front, but then my knees hit the bar under the dash (I'm tall). I then got a bag seat made up and my Tillet is used by the cat in my home office!

I also felt the urge on track days for a HANS device and the Simpson Hybrid one is amazing and fits well without any messing with seat belt anchor points.

I use a Bell helmet because it fits my head so well. Added bonus is that they are cheaper than most motorsport helmets. I think mines a RS6 Pro and I retro fitted HANS posts although that involved minimal effort as the holes and threads were all built into the non-HANS base helmet.

Cant comment on the seats but its really worth going to a shop with as much choice as possible when buying a helmet. I went to GP Racewear at Silverstone and they had a great selection. The reality for me was only 1 helmet actually fitted correctly as all the others where quiet uncomfortable.  

Thanks Guys

Really helpful

What is a "HANS Device" excuse my ignorance, is it a pole going from the Roll bar to the front passengers foot well? I saw a picture in the 7 mag this month with something like this. 

Don't skimp on a helmet, not only do you only have one head but also you may at some time in the future want to do a sprint or hill climb so need one approved for MSA non race events.  A HANS device is a must*biglaugh*

Nick

Don't skimp on a helmet, not only do you only have one head but also you may at some time in the future want to do a sprint or hill climb so need one approved for MSA non race events.  A HANS device is a must*biglaugh*

Nick

• 2 months later...