Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bottom hose touching chassis

Brian Deacon

Just sorting a small leak on the radiator fan switch and noticed that the bottom hose sits on top of the chassis. The radiator mounting bobbins are all fine so its not dropped recently, probably been like it since build. The radiator side flanges have four mounting holes each side , and mine is located on the upper holes. Moving it to the lower holes would raise the radiator about 2cm.  But then might be to close to the nose cowl. Before I try it could somebody tell me where theirs is mounted.

Its a 1997 1.6 K series Roadsport. 

Hoses chafing on things is one of the biggest causes of car failure in motorsport. Some people (not on here obviously) I have worked with in the past seemed unable to understand that it must be avoided and consequently suffered problem after problem.

If it's unavoidable, a simple trick is to take a short length of hose the same or slightly larger diameter than the working hose, slit it along its length and then cable tie it around the working hose at the point of chafing. It doesn't stop the problem, but it transfers it to a sacrificial piece of rubber that can be kept an eye on and replaced as necessary.