Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen replacement

gavingraysonr300

I 'think' one reason for the modern prevalence of laminated is legislation.  The laminated glass prevents you exiting the vehicle in the event of an accident as I think you were alluding to earlier?. (Hardly relevant as your strapped in tight in a Caterham). 

As for bullets...I've been dodging those for years. 

This LR screen seems to be laminated

http://www.paddockspares.com/mtc5318-front-windscreen-glass-laminated.html

The trouble with toughened glass is that it shatters into thousands of small pieces . I had a break in at a BTL property recently and the front door had a toughened glass double glazed panel in it , we were hovering up bits of glass for two days ( on and off) 

xlarge_IMG_4959.jpg.5f8c7e8bbce81c8f78c7786bb2c59903.jpg

Yes ,the bag of peat was thrown through it !

I'm sorry, but a toughened glass windscreen is not a good idea.  Not only will it not last, the first chip is likely to break it, but when it does go, the screen will become opaque followed quickly by you being showered in tiny bits of glass.  You will be lucky if you get away with only small cuts all over your face especially if you are travelling at speed.

I am more surprised by the Glass Company supplying the glass for such a use.

• 2 months later...

You need to gentle prise it out of the top screen surround.  There is some flex in the ali surround, so slide something along the gap akin to a screwdriver to gently separate them.  Some care is needed (obviously), so I wouldn't use something metallic which could damage the glass or frame - I cant remember what I used as its years ago since I did it, but perhaps a thin piece of wood or a wooden spoon handle, gentley worked around the frame and it will come out.