Click here if you are having website access problems ×

immobiliser headache.

Gunscrossed

Had a bit of drama during todays MOT test. Car (2005 K-series) has been starting fine etc. Get to te MOT station fine, ask tester if he'd like me to drive/help etc. he declines, drives the car into the garage, emissions test done, stalls car driving onto ramp and we were unable to start it for what seemed like ages, fortunatly he was able to complete the test and it passed! But we'd given up trying to start it and I was being pushed out of the test centre with the intention of calling the RAC when I thought I'd give it one last go and it started!

Got home OK but the red immobiliser light is constantly on, that's not right is it?

I turned it off using the FIA key and will have another look tomorrow, any ideas?

What type of immobiliser is it, and do you have the reset procedure?

Did you change anything in getting ready for the inspection?

Was the problem after the lights being on for testing with the engine off? Could the battery be marginal? What's the voltage at rest, minimum during cranking and at 3,000 rpm?

Jonathan

I'd need to check what immobiliser, has the black square fob with two buttons.I don't have the reset proceedure.

I re-installed the lights etc. Had a problem with the hazards but sorted that.

I wasn't really paying attention at that point but possibly, and given my playing with the lights it could well be a low battery, will try to check tomorrow.

As well as the battery theory did you disconnect the power while working on it... it may be that it just needs to be reset after that. And then it's possible that the tester pressed the "Arm" button without the reset sequence having been completed.

IIRC it sometimes takes several attempts to get the reset to bite.

Jonathan

If the power has been disconnected .... It takes 4-5 pushes of the unlock button to disarm the immobiliser. You have to do this before turning the ignition on. If you mess up the disarming .... best to arm it and let LED settle to a steady slow flash before trying again.