Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tonneau modifications

Brian Deacon

I have a secondhand tonneau cover that I am thinking of fitting and modifying. Want to use the passenger side half as a cover when touring to keep luggage, map etc under. To do this I need to cut the cover to fit the side door straps through it and get a headrest cutout fitted. Anybody done this? If so a picture would be good.

I've done the same but with no modifications - remove headrest and tuck the vertical part of the tonneau inside the door with only the poppers across the dash and top harness mounting points attached. 

However. When doing same with half doors and aero I lost the tonneau upwards never to be seen again. One idea is a loop inside to fit the seat belt/harness through to hold it down better but other things higher up the tinker list means it's theory only. 

I did wonder about putting in down inside the door. Downside would be if it collected any rain water it would be channeling it inside the car. But when parked and wet I always use the shower cap anyway, so it would only be if caught in rain driving without the half hood. Your right I do not need a headrest cutout, just take it off.  Fasteners just received so next time the suns out to warn it and allow stretching I will fit and see what I think.