Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alloy fuel tank

andy couchman

Have replaced my old steel tank with a shine aly one. The aim is to eventually convert the crossflow to fuel injection so I bought a fuel injection tank, which has a big hole in the driver's side end in which to fit a fuel injection pump.

Qustions:

- can I /should I use the internally fitting fuel injection pump to run carbs until I can afford the injection conversion? Will that cause problems and are they surmountable?

- or run the existing Facet red top pump?

- and if the latter, which of the pipes running from the tank is which? And what do I do with the others?

Help!

Andy Couchman

Q831FDD

Hi Andy

You seem to be a little confused between inj and carbs

Injection generally runs @ approx 45 psi

Carbs run @ approx 3 psi

If you use an inj fuel pump with carbs the fuel will just leak out of all the carb seals.

the fittings on the inj tank are a return feed from the fuel rail (front edge of tank)and a tank breather (bent tube fitting on top ).

You have two options if you want to use your inj fuel tank.

1) convert to fuel inj now (which involves cost)

2) Fit inj tank and inj fuel pump and use a fse turbo fuel pressure reg to lower fuel pressure to carb pressure 3 psi and fit a return fuel line to return excess fuel back to tank.

You cannot easily use the red top pump with an inj tank as you have no pump feed .

Cheers

Dave

Hi Andy

Now is the time to do it when you chassis is dismantled.

Couple of points to add ;-

1. You will need a fuel delivery line capable of injection type pressures

2. You will need a return for your pressurised tank

1 and 2 easiest to put in now

3. Harness will need extending

4. K-series pumps are expensive - might be worth checking breakers for spare

( pump c. 118 + VAT + fixings + gasket from Caterham )

5. pressure regulator and filter need to go in

6. Depending on your solution you may need the tank to fuel cap adapter ( c. 40 GBP from Caterham )

Dave's second suggestion makes sense but you are likely to get through regulators as they will be reducing pressure significantly

Will you be putting honeycomb protection round as well ?

Hi ya Andy,

Not all doom and gloom yet.

IMHO

Find a used FI pump and flange for the alloy tank you have. This could be a non working pump so should be cheap. Millwood may have one lying around. We can then modify this to remove the internal pump and replace with a fuel pick up tube. Then we can go to Braided steel to make up a feed line from the tank flange to the red top pump.

Not sure if you are currently running a fuel pressure regulator or not, but it is a good idea even for carb setups to ensure consistent fuel pressure at all RPM's. Then you can plumb the return line as well.

I can come round on Sat to sort this with you if you would like.

David

Whoever said ... If it aint broke, Don't fix it...

Just doesn't get the point!

I've gone the x/flow to injection route.

My solution was to fit the caterham injection tank, pump, filter and fuel line.

Between fitting the tank etc. and the actual change over to injection, I ran the car on carbs. The tank connection that will be the return for the FI is in the same place as the outlet on a carb tank. This inlet/outlet can be used as a suction line for a carb system - I ran my car like that for several months whilst I was waiting for the M3DK to be available.

Ian