Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LED front indicators

Drumster

They're fine Chris, although you'll need an LED compatible flasher relay such as one of these

Maybe Ian's had better luck with that particular flasher relay (the one marked "0.1 - 150W") but the one I bought - from that linked, reputable, eBay seller back in 2015 - lasted 160 miles. I wasn't impressed, particularly given we were on a 200 mile blat at the time and dusk was approaching.

Shortly afterwards - still in February 2015 - I replaced it with one of these WIPAC units:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-90-110-4-PIN-LED-INDICATOR-FLASHER-UNIT-RELAY-WIPAC-WFL7LED-/271666860888

It's been perfect ever since.

Yes, the relay I've used runs a mix. I have LEDs at the rear and as the front repeaters, but for some reason I now can't explain didn't think to swap the incandescent front units for LEDs during the front lights refresh.

The only issue you need to watch for is that some relays are *only* for LEDs, as these may be rated at a low power such as 30W - given an individual incandescent can take 20W, when you have more than one, e.g. have the hazards on, said relay will burn out. Ask me how I know. Or, just read about it in my blog...

https://www.lotus7.club/comment/2120121#comment-2120121

Why bother?

Increased visibility.

The standard Caterham rear lights - all of them - are frankly terrible. Position, stop and indicator lights are universally poor.

LEDs tend to be brighter and more noticeable. The front indicators are OK, but even then  the LED versions are brighter and more immediately noticeable, as we've found on the Defender.