Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CRB Pre-load modification (Calling John Vine!?!?)

Smithy77

If you're reading John, I tried to PM you but I got the admin error that seems to be popular at the moment!

I have read your great article here and, as my CRB is fairly new, I want make the same modification. As it was written a few years ago now, I just wanted to make sure I get the same springs as you did. Is this the correct spring?

If anyone else knows, feel free to chip in

This is timely - when I separated the engine and box this time the bearing had separated from the plastic carrier. Will get them springs ordered!

I've never had one fail but the one coming out is the 3rd bearing in 20k miles - reading stories of failures always changed when engine been out. I did have a clutch plate disintegrate though!

Regards

Ian

the 3rd bearing in 20k miles

I realise you replaced them ahead of possible failure, but IMHO a well set-up CRB in a cable-clutch 7 should be capable of reaching 100K miles plus.  How often did you hear of CRB problems in the Ford Sierra?  I had four of these over the years (around 300K miles all told) and there was never a hint of transmission problems of any sort.   Even my old 1.8K SS-R still has the same CRB I put in 13 years ago.

JV

• 2 months later...

Last job on the list today before being summer ready. I'd looked at John's photos and wasn't 100% sure about using the upper edge of the pedal box to locate the springs as this is where the pedal box lid bolts on (albeit has been fine on John's old car)

Been pondering this for a while and fashioned a bracket out of a B&Q hardware item for fixing kitchen worktops to base units and bolted this to the blanking plate in the pedal box for the hydraulic clutch master cylinder. I trimmed the bracket by about 8mm on the side with the 2 round holes and redrilled 2 new 3mm holes at the same spacing as the originals. It was easy to remove the blanking plate to drill on the bench. I also replaced the two self tappers holding it in with 6mm bolts.

Here is the bracket in original form..

002.JPG.005ce2a42b441a312b9472f2230020dc.JPG

Here is the bracket bolted in with shortened twin springs attached

large_003.JPG.aa0b6356ef43a05d6f0df36733d02ec1.JPG

Here is the other side of the pedal box showing the 2 X 6mm bolts holding in the original blanking plate and the 2 x 5mm cap heads holding the modified kitchen bracket using the two slotted holes.

large_004.JPG.1907c15f5fca86507443663e8478b202.JPG

Maiden voyage of 2017 tomorrow *biggrin*

Ian