Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Boot floor

Dobson_justin

I have recently removed my old boot floor whilst making some changes to the car, and have bought a new one as the old was no good and not installed correctly. 

I only had the aluminium for the font section originally, with no wood panel underneath.  Now I have the wood panel and new Ali. So my question is, how do I attach the front section back in, with the wood and Ali?  Do I use screws through both wood and Ali? Do I use nut and bolts through both? Do I fix wood first, then attach Ali to the wood? Etc etc

The rear section seems a bit more straightforward.

Any thoughts appreciated!

I have a t-section strip across the boot between the front plywood section and the rear Ali panel. The horizontal part of the T faces downwards ... with the vertical upstand upwards. I put spire clips on the horizontal flanges and drilled holes in the wood and AlI panels to use self-tappers into these spire clips. The original plywood from the CC build was like balsa wood .... very soft wood. I replaced it with a thicker piece of hardwood ply and coated it with a preservative. So ... the Ali and ply don't overlap .... But meet at the Ali t-section

Thanks Ivan, I didn't know that.  It is all in securely now. 

The back section is being prevented from going in due to a breather pipe on top of the tank, which I have to run a hose from to the filler neck. Does anyone have a view if this is required, as new tanks don't have them. Just trying to work out the next best step. 

Cannot post a pic as my pic exceeds the max file size...

Funny thing, I had the boot floor out yesterday, investigating a fuel leak (well, "up" at least; "out" appears to be impossible whilst the roll bar is fitted).

Mine (both parts) is also attached with self-tappers. I would say "all round" but there appears to be less than 50% occupancy in total, and of the three in the wooden part, one just isn't coming out. Annoyingly it's the one in the centre whose point seems to be very close to the fuel return pipe. I'm sure nothing could possibly go wrong there...

The absence of most of the fixings doesn't appear to be an issue; the few that exist, in combination with the boot side carpet lining, mean that it doesn't go anywhere (even when you want it to, without an amount of swearing).