Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track day tips for newbies

james.c

My entirely non technical guide, the stuff I really wish I had known in 1997 ,when I first lurched out of the pit lane at  Croft -

Take a big bottle of water-you will develop a raging thirst and wonder why Max Verstappen doesn't expire from dehydration after fifteen  laps  .

Don't feel inadequate because the guy next to you knows everybody else , has enough tools to stock a branch of Halfords and talks very loudly ; actually he doesn't have a girlfriend and thinks this stuff really is important 

Don't feel at all  left  out if you don't own a trailer,  wear overalls , have a helmet which looks like Ayrton Senna's  and  have two sets of spare tyres

Don't think that everybody track side will be hooting with laughter at how bad your lines are 

Do remember it's just driving a Seven  , which you've done before. It isn't  out- psyching Vettel in Q3 .

Top Practical Tip -  Do take all the crap out of cockpit and boot before venturing out 

And ..don't be surprised if your Seven is a lot quicker than you are

Because you are human you will worry beforehand   - but after ten minutes driving you will feel like a god , resolve to spend every waking hour doing this in future .and  find that you bore the arse off all your friends with your ceaseless babbling about how absolutely bloody brilliant it all was.... *byebye*

James

drop me a PM if you want to go through spanner checks with me in Stamford. 

The advice you have had above is good - the only thing I would add is that you should get a balaclava for inside the helmet. You'll thank me the next time you have to wear the helmet!

The other thing to reiterate is don't put the handbrake on. Heat soak can warp the disks if you do.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from my very first track day in my Caterham at Snetterton. Very slippery in the morning but a lot better in the afternoon and amazing weather (cold but cloud free, sunny and bright) when you consider its Jan 20th.

Thanks to all those who posted on this thread - really helped me today.

one question: I bought some secondhand 15" wheels with CR500 tyres for trackdays and used those today. Weight of opinion seems to be that 13" better for track use (doh). Any recommendations for psi on 15" as I assume the 13" are preferred due to their deeper side wall and flex in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to do my first trackday this year in a 2.0L Supersport R.What is the concensus on whether you need a dry sump or not. I am using 13" wheels with CR500 tyres.I am sure there must be plenty of cars that don,t have one.Any opinions either way would be appreciated.

• 4 years later...