Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SLR ARB droplink replacement

RogNeedham

Rog

I recently done this. Caterham only sell the links, you need two for each side of car. 

Then re use the threaded rod that connects the links together. Getting the rods off can be tricky if seized on otherwise straightforward job.

i used a bike spanner to tighten the links as space limited.

Paul

• Leadership Team

Thx Paul,

I have ordered 2x CC part no 72120. (assumed one for each side, until i realised the CC parts didn't include the extension piece)

How did you separate the ball on 'extension piece' (3) from the cup on droplink (4)?

Cheers

Rog

• Area Representative

Dry drop links wear out quiet quickly.

Before fitting the new drop links lubricate the ball end cups with a good quality automotive Lithium based grease.

You will need to remove the curved wire locking wire carefully from the base of the cup then with the whole link in a vice carefully prise out the ball by applying some angular force to the end of the thread.

Carefully though be aware of the rubber seal !  

To refit just push the ball in with moderate force to ensure it is seated, wipe off excess grease & refit lock wire.

I carry out this process annually. The current set of links fitted to my car have so far lasted three years without any signs of wear. The first set lasted a year dry.

• Leadership Team

although I've had the car 6 yrs now, this is one of the few jobs I've not had to do before.

It appears someone has had a a 'go' :) - the flat has been rounded off and (at least on the nearside), there are only the remains of what I assume was the rubber seal...

to be resumed in 2017 

Happy New Year

Rog