Click here if you are having website access problems ×

brise alternator wiring k,series

lotusdave

fitting a new brise alternator , but it has the 3 wire oval connector with 3 wires blue,red, and yellow which i dont know where they fit,,plus the thick brown wire thats ok as its the same as the old unit,so i have a thin brown wire with a yellow tracer on car loom,can any one help

david   

jonathan

if i connect the loom thin brown,yellow tracer to the 3 wire connector  red r and blue to battery and then yellow to ingnition,

i have the thin brown yellow which connected to old alt, but no warning lamp i dont think, is this correct

david 

jonathan

am back at home on sunday , not sure what you mean i will look and see what model i have,  all i know is i have i thick brown on its own, and the oval connector which pushes into the back with the three wires coming out which are red blue and yellow

david 

• 2 months later...

I also have a Brise alternator (with I believe the type 2 connections) but since it was fitted and since somebody did some work on the car I no longer have a red ignition light when I turn on the ignition. This is obviously fairly crucial as I'll have no way of knowing if the alternator packs up or the belt comes off whilst driving.

My question is can I add a new wire or a direct feed thus bypassing any existing wiring? Or, alternatively what can be done to ensure there is a red light when I turn the ignition on?

Many thanks, CycleSi

Light never comes on but battery seems to be charging?

You've identified the Brise type, and you've found the wiring notes for each type?

Since the light used to work the next step is to find the wire that comes from the sensor terminal on the alternator to the warning light and used to make it work. That's conventionally Brown/Yellow, but I don't know if it always is those colours on factory Caterhams. It might have been tucked away nearby when the alternator was changed. 

Or it might be connected to the alternator but incorrectly.

And, yes, it's possible to add a new one if you can't ind it.

(If you can find and connect that there's still a possibility that there's another fault or the lamp is U/S. But we can sort that later.)

Do you have a multimeter and the wiring diagram for your model of 7?

Jonathan

As far as I know Brise aren't open at 10.00pm on a Sunday evening, but the good people of BC are :-)

So to answer:

The light doesn't come on, but the battery is charging fine. It's probably best to forget any original wires as I know the wiring has been messed around with and chopped & cut out hence the idea of starting from scratch and bypassing/adding a new length of wire if that is possible.

I don't have a multimeter but a good friend of mine does (he works for Bosch) and often works on my Caterham, but we don't have a wiring diagram.

1. Wiring diagram: please send me a Private Message with your email address and the model of 7.
  2. Have a look at the diagram below. The circuit for the warning light is simple, but ingenious. NB The absence of a typical earth.
  3. I'd run a temporary new cable from the appropriate terminal (as in the Brise notes) on the alternator to the side of the warning light that isn't connected to the battery. If there's an existing wire (probably Brown/Yellow) then disconnect that for the test. Then check that the light now behaves. If it doesn't have a look to see if it's an LED rather than incandescant. Once it works wire it properly. 

Jonathan

PS: No matter how good a friend you could still buy your own! :-)

the-warning-light-circuit.png