Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dials Fogging and Weird Speedo

JasonNT

Hi Folks,

Literally just got the car and loving it *rofl*

My first Caterham and its brill. But I do have some questions:

1. Is it normal for the speedo to basically go nuts above a certain speed. Its fine for lower down speeds but when you get to motorway speeds it basically flop abouts like a fish out of water.

2. Gauges steaming up, condensation on the inside of the dials, is this normal (something you live with) or something that should not happen?

3. What is the Oil pressure that should be obtained when the engine is hot (Duratec 2.0 175)?

4. Anyone put Evans waterless coolant in them before? If so what were the running temps?

Thanks all 

J

Welcome. Where are you?

1. Is it normal for the speedo to basically go nuts above a certain speed. Its fine for lower down speeds but when you get to motorway speeds it basically flop abouts like a fish out of water.

No, and it can be fixed. First you need to find out which sort you have: mechanical from the gearbox, electronic from the gearbox, or electronic from a wheel. 

2. Gauges steaming up, condensation on the inside of the dials, is this normal (something you live with) or something that should not happen?

Quite common. One solution is to cut a small slot in the side. It's recommended not to drill because of the risk of overpenetration.

4. Anyone put Evans waterless coolant in them before? If so what were the running temps?

I suggest starting here. Other threads are available.

Jonathan

Hey Jonathan, 

Thanks for the info! Interesting reading on the threads :) I had Evans in my R35 it worked well.

When you mean slot do you mean cut through with a Stanley knife? I take it its just to get the moisture out? Are these not sealed units?

I'm in Surrey, near Woking.

Jason

Welcome to the mad world of 7s.  Woking eh?  I bought my first house in St Johns, many years ago.

To answer your questions:

1.  No, it isn't normal.  The two usual culprits are the sensor air gap and the sensor earth.  Have a look at posts 1-4 here.
  2.  TADTS. Just follow the advice above.  Personally, I've learnt to live with it.  Do you have a heater?
  3.  Do you have the standard gauge or a mechanical one?  If standard, 4.5 to 5 bar at 4K rpm hot and 2 bar idling hot.  If mechanical, 70-75 psi at 4K rpm hot and 30 psi idling hot.  More info here.
  4. Study JK's link for starters.  There's a deal of history, a lot of it inconclusive.  Personally, I can see no advantage in a 7, and several disadvantages.

JV

@ Evans , l tried it in my Roadsport D and found it not to work it ran hotter the fan was on most of the time  so went back to antifreeze, I have tried water wetter ! With some benefit . I also changed the thermostat to a 82c so the engine can start cooling earlier. Are you going to any of the Surrey meet's ? I normally do the summer months or visits .

I have also done the speedo mod , ( earth ) and replacement and adjustments of the sensor