Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stripes - Vinyl or Painted

AndrewE

Hi all 

What is the normal approach from the factory for stripes - are they painted or vinyl wrap? 

The reason for asking is I want to add a continuation stripe on the back panel to match the bonnet / nose stripe so want to know if its better to paint or wrap

OK so word of caution about the factory vinyl strips.   I wanted to change my nose badge from square to round in the Post Build Check, but Caterham are not sure they can match or lineup a replacement nose stripe, instead want to restripe the nose, bonnet and scuttle (including removing the windscreen).   I think that's poor given that I regularly have the nose and rear wings repainted during winter due to stone chips, and star cracks having to restripe each time will become a pain.    

Andrew, from your original query.

If the car has parallel stripes on the bonnet, they will be vinyl if they were done in the factory.  (Visually vinyl is easy to identify as it has a more matt finish than the main body, and if you look at how light reflects from the surface, vinyl has a rougher surface appearance). Factory painted stripes are one piece applications, and unlike vinyl, I believe that the painted stripe carries through on on top of the centre bonnet louvers where vinyl won't stick.

If you are looking to only add a continuation stripe to the rear panel of an existing car, any batch related colour variance due to different vinyl batches will not be discernable.  You should be able to get a sample from the extensive 3M colour range that you can evaluate this against before you buy.

Jim

thanks for getting the thread back on track!

i have a single stripe which is quite reflective - so assume it's paint - it is edged by 4mm/2mm pin stripes

how do I find the paint code?

Although I will look at 3m vinyl colours to see if there is a close match 

Andrew

Andrew if your stripe covers the centre bonnet louvre, and it isn't lifting or bubbling, it'll be painted.

I'd suggest your easiest option would be to call around either motor factors who supply paint shops with their paint; or ring around local car painters.  You should be able to find one who has a paint manufacturer supplied "colour library".  These are simplisticaly,  a large inventory of sequenced painted cards that you can match against if you take your bonnet or car along.  The bigger paint manufacturers (Glasurit, PPG, or Sikkens etc) continually update their libraries with subtle variants of known paint codes.  This should let you home in on the best match, and then the "colour library" will produce the correct paint mixing formulation you need.

A web search on the paint manufacturers web sites might help you chase down your local distributor or paint shops.