Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Odd switch on failure

ScottR400D

Hi all. I have a 2015 R400 with the multiple button dashboard, where you press the starter button to turn on the ignition and then press it again to start. 

Did a track day at Snet yesterday. All went very well except for an odd incident mid way through the day. 

Bringing the car back into the garage we had to wait for a few minutes for our mate to move his car. Turned our car off. After a couple of minutes restarted and moved in to the garage and turned off again. 

A few seconds after, I went to turn on the ignition to check the oil temp and nothing happened. Pressing the button turned nothing on at all. (normally all switches light up and the gauges sweep across and settle) Tried it a few times with nothing. 

The lights, hazards, indicators and horn all worked, battery's fine. Checked the main inertia switch, didn't seem to have tripped and guess the accessories wouldn't have worked with that off?

After no more than a minute or two the ignition switch worked and was no trouble for the remainder of the day or up until now.

Any thoughts anyone? 

I'm not familiar with that dash. Is it a momentary switch and there's a latch or a logic unit somewhere?

Does the lock do anything relevant?

This might not be easy until it happens a bit more frequently.

I'd start by looking at the switch, the connections and the connected wires. Anything loose? Can you get a meter on the terminals and cycle it and see if it ever fails to make?

Jonathan

Hi JK. It is a momentary switch but I think has two positions. First push switches on ignition, presumably through relays. Push further and it energises starter. In this instance pushing it did absolutely nothing. 

I agree a check on connections would be a good place to start, and if it happens again hopefully I'll be somewhere where I can test what's happening. 

Thanks for that Steve, I did wonder. 

JK, I've checked the connections on the switch, they seem OK. I'll post some images later so you can see how switch works. All the switches are the same, they just manage different functions through the control board and or the relays near the fuses. I have a spare switch from my issue earlier in the year with the hazards.