Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.4 ss

p.mole1

Have booked a spot with DVA for next year to have a cylinder head done, everyone seems to dump the the 1.4 and go straight to 1.8.

I quite like the the 1.4 and since I have the six speed box I am going to keep it as a 1.4 for the minute. The plan is to fit a 4-2-1 manifold,the DVA modified head, SS cams, check the timing and see how that goes with the view to possibly upgrading to throttle bodies and and a Emerald ECU. This also gives me the option of easily putting the car back to standard and selling the bits if the car is ever sold.

It will be interesting to see what sort of power that will generate and I can easily change the bottom end to a 1.6 or 1.8 in the future.

I know I could probably generate the same power by dropping in a VVC but I think I may spoil the character of the car and negate the need of a 6 speed box

I've had two SS 1400's, the first had a five speed, not necessarily because of that it was I thought a better car than the second one I owned which was a six. I loved the zingy rev-ability of that engine and of course the half price road tax provided a certain extra feel good factor (as if it was somehow cheating the system to tax a Seven for £100 or so), I never did it but always fancied a 140hp 1400 via Mr Andrews, an Emerald and a set of T/B's.

Have been mulling it over for a while,if my car had been a five speed I would have gone with the larger capacity route. It is a really nice road car and I might spoil it along with my underpants if I go for too much power. I don't want to make a car that I feel I can't drive to its full extent without be overwhelmed. 

When I was looking for a 7 I wanted a K series ideally, a 1.6 and 6 speed but the 1.6 was out of my budget. The 1.4 does lack a bit of mid range torque but its got plenty of gears since my engine seems in good order I don't think its worth changing it for a 1.6. Although I am going to keep my eye out for one as a spare incase mine goes bang at some stage.

• Area Representative

Hi there,

My plan was to go from 1.4 to 1.8, but I had the wrong engine type for the conversion... anyway to cut a long story short I now have a 1.4 with DVA ported head, SS cams with verniers, Jenvey DTH throttle bodies & Emerald plus a 4-2-1 SL-R exhaust.

For a 1.4 it now goes very well! *smile*

DVA did all the work for me and reckons it's pushing out about 150bhp but I've not had it on a rolling road.

I'm really pleased with it - I'm still considering whether to go 1.8 (I have an Elise engine in my garage), but my car goes so well now I wonder if it's really worth it.

Not sure where you live, but you're welcome to come out in mine  - I live in Thatcham, Berks.

• Area Representative

I only have a 5 speed which I like and dislike!

1st isn't great - I think we'd all agree with that and 2nd didn't used to be great, but since the conversion, oddly 2nd now feels much better!

3rd/4th are both pretty fine for road use and I like the relaxed cruise of 5th.

I've not driven a 6 speed, but would be interested to compare.

If funds allowed, I would probably go down the BGH route with a longer 1st and maybe a slightly different 2nd... but there you go!

I found that although the six-speed suited the 1400SS power delivery it lacked the relaxed overdriven 5th of the 5 speed as on the 6 speed 6th is a 1:1 ratio so probably excellent on track or fast road but not for long distance cruising or the B roads and speed limits of Berkshire :-) The BGH route I'm told fixes 1st and also improves the box generally.

I must come to the Thames Valley meet and see your car some time.

My box is a BGH. Didn't know that when I bought the car, wondered why people said that first was too short. First is good for 44mph on mine (7600rpm limit, 15" wheels, 3.92 diff). Ratios all seem pretty good to me. Definitely wouldn't want my top to be the same as my current 1:1 fourth for road use.

Hi Nick,

That sounds impressive over a 100bhp per litre!, did you get any improvement in the midrange or was all in the top end?. I would love to try your car but unfortunately I am at other end of the country. If you are ever up in the north of England you are welcome to try a 6 speed gearbox.

Top gear is a very low ratio,80 mph is 4500rpm but there is so much noise I haven't found it to be a problem. The engine is very smooth with little vibration and I always wear either ear plugs or defenders. The standard 1.4SS needs a low top ratio as it doesn't really get going till about 5000rpm​.

I did look at a VVC car with a 5 speed box, but it wasn't in good condition, just about all of these cars where well above my budget, pity because I think its probably the best all round package

I have a 1.6k supersport - about 135 bhp and with modest track experience have lapped much quicker machinery (7's) around Cadwell.

I have no desire for massive power but would like better reliability. My route will be forged pistons, mild ported head, timed SS cams and emerald.

I already have enough power for enjoyable track days and to get me into trouble on the road. My mate, who owns an r500k said mine was really nice to drive around cadwell.

As said before I think about 150bhp gives a good all round seven.

Ian

• Area Representative

Yes, I thought that too, but that is what Dave reckoned it would be pushing out and he knows his stuff. It didn't push him either. Like I said it hasn't been on a RR so no way of verifying that figure, but I don't really care what hp it is as I love the way it drives!

The engine is now very smooth - it used to shunt horribly on a light throttle setting in 2nd gear going around roundabouts, now I cannot even provoke it to shunt! My SS cams were badly timed before - Dave demonstrated this to me and he says this is very common. So whether the shunting was eliminated by just timing the cams properly, or it was a result of all mods - TBs, Emerald map etc I cannot say, but I'm very pleased with the result.

Dave warned me not to expect much with regard to torque, but actually it does have more torque now (for a 1.4); where it used to bog down in fifth it now pulls very cleanly which was a nice surprise!

It also breathes very well - @ 7000 it is still pulling strongly and sounds fantastic. I think Dave raised the rev limit to 7800, but I'm not happy going that high, so generally change at about 7200 ish...

So I now have a 1.8 Elise engine, forged pistons, 285H cams all waiting for a conversion I may or may not do! Not interesting in selling them at the moment before anyone asks though!

I'm sure you'll be pleased with your conversion - if you get the chance, try and spend a day with Dave whilst he's working on your car - it's very interesting.

Shout if you have any other questions.