Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track n Road

RogerB

i have just spoken to Track n Road today regarding road going running issues with my 1.6 k series racing engine. i am pleased to say they fully understood the issues and sounded confident that they could re- map the MBE ECU to make the car more tractable for road use.

The issues are that the engine has a flat spot between 3000 to 4500 RPM whereby the engine dies under full throttle. This necessitates being in a low gear to get the revs up for overtaking. Also fuel consumption under spirited driving is circa 22 mpg.

Their explanation was that engines set up for track use are only properly mapped for full power at the higher rev range

Before I trail the car down from Scotland to Essex I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a re-map of a race tuned engine for road use by them and what form of improvements experienced. Also if there is anyone nearer to Scotland that can perform this task ?

Ian,

Unfortunately Steve Parker who built the engine and the previous owner have passed away and no build spec came with the car. However ive had it stripped down to replace the head gasket and up-rated bottom ladder. The garage said it had bigger valves in the head and some sort of race cam. It also runs on Caterham throttle bodies with a dry sump. The MBE ECU says 200BHP, however I dont think it is so much. Oh and it only had 560 miles on the clock when I bought it in March, the garage also confirmed the engine looked low miles since it was rebuilt.

That is the extent of my knowledge on it at present.

Roger.

I & many others in this area have had mapping sessions by Track & Road.

All of us have experienced the results & all outcome has been very good.

Mine has superb road manners & does what I want it too rather than spit, hesitate & cough.

2 years & I haven't had to touch it, just jump in & go.

I'm sure others would agree that you won't be disappointed.

Absolutely, smiles per mile and I had that for ten years with a Griffith 500 with twice the horsepower twice the weight and an antiquated engine with half the valves per cylinder. That's not to say I,m not achieving an improved spm, however I had hoped to achieve it with a better mpg.