Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.4 k series spluttering to a halt

RyCliff

Makes sense to carry this out whilst running, will try this next time.

Taken a further look at the second breather line and this seems to be some very strange setup.

/sites/default/files/images/users/32821/Car%20Breather%202.JPG

This is the best photo I can get looking up at the boot floor. The valve is there but then the breather continues above the diff and towards the front of the car.

I have the note from TomB on what the setup should be which is a long departure from what I'm seeing. So before I start to cut anything, does anyone understand where this could be going to? The fuel return on the other side of the tank seems to be in place and takes a similar route so I'm left a little perplexed.

Thats a different set up to mine.  THe curved, ridge one is the handbrake, forget about that. The thin braided one is the flexible brake hose going to the dedion 3-way union. The straight rubber one is the high pressure pump feed to the engine.  No idea what the other rubber one is with what looks like a valve. Is that a one way valve?  

Just a thought - see if you can borrow the older Metro style filler cap and neck and try that?  

Will take a look for the charcoal canister but it is heading up to the engine bay. Any idea where abouts it would be and approx. size?

This breather I'm pretty sure is the one causing my grief because as soon as I removed it from the filler neck there was an air rush.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a one way valve. Once it gets above the diff it's pretty difficult to distinguish which one it is, but I'm assuming it must run down to the engine bay.

If I find this grey canister I'll cut it and make the modification from the workshop note you sent through Tom *smile*

Think I've managed to trace the correct pipe through the transmission tunnel to a large cylinder mounted just in front of the drivers side footwell (rhd). Would this be the canister and if so what's the purpose of the electrical connection on top? Has anyone removed this before?

Thanks

Ryan

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the thread resurrection.

Think I have this sorted now, removed and refitted the airline into the charcoal canister which seems to have helped. I assume this was blocked up.

As for the hunting at idle, I've tried the tps reset and this doesn't seem to have solved much. Could a new one altogether fix this?