Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Water pump for C20XE Vauxhall HPC

Lotus Boy

Hi,

I am changing the cambelt next month on my HPC and I figured it's a sensible time to change my water pump too.  The car is 21 years old and has 45k on the clock. My engine is an LN (later) version.

Having searched the forums I think I have worked out that GM have plastic impellers but these aren't favoured.  So the next question is which manufacturer?

Best I have found so far is via AutoVaux which suggests a Valeo one (who are an OEM manufacturer - though assume not to GM) with metal impellers.

Here's the link:

http://www.autovaux.co.uk/product/24409355-water-pump-1334139-vauxhall-opel.aspx

My guess is metal is better than plastic and Valeo can't be all bad.

So...

1) Any thoughts from anyone who has changed their water pump?

2) Any tips and tricks for removing the pump.  Any special tools? I've been told to soak the bolts etc in WD40 beforehand.

3) For the record I have always used GM cambelt kits with new tensioners. Anyone got anything to add on this?  Any aftermarket ones that are better?

Thanks

David

Hi 

I would agree that metal sounds better than plastic but that view is not based on any specific experience. My engine has just been rebuilt at circa 50k and original water pump was fine so it was left.

It is probably not essential but there is a special water pump "spanner" that will make like a lot easier. Think I got mine for a few pounds from Amazon/eBay. 

For cam belt I used a kit purchased from SBD but so far as I am aware it's run on standard GM to now with no issues.

Alan

Thanks Alan - hmm, interesting about the condition of yours (good to know) though I think I will still change mine given I will be in that area and it's not an expensive part to replace.  I need to drain the coolant anyway as I need to change that 'awkward to get to' hose that connects the submarine pipe to the pump.

Just found and bought a Draper spanner on eBay for under four quid.  Anything to make life easier!

Roger - yep I saw that before when I first got my car.  Can't seem to load the SBD link but from memory is that the metal idler option??

Is it worth the cost? My engine is standard and I replace everything including the newer GF25 wheel when changing my belt (which I do every five years).

I guess you keep that metal idler for life, is that the idea?

Thanks

David

Hmm, I can't load the link either but yes, I think it's the metal replacement. It wouldn't necessarily be a lifetime swap, you need to asses the condition in the normal way.

I always find it helpful to mark the radial position of the water pump before I remove it. It gives a reasonable start point for timing belt tension (but I have removed the o/e tensioning method so that might not apply to you)

Incidentally, a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. is said to be a good releasing agent ....