Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre Balancing, Weights & Damage

Gregs79

All,

I have just had some new ZZS's fitted at a local garage that I purchased from Book a Track recently and I would value peoples opinions on the following as I am no tyre fitting expert!

When I got back I gave them a wash and noticed that they had scratched the wheels where they took the weights off and not bothered to clean the adhesive, so I scrubbed that off!

I also noticed both backs are scored. Although I can't be sure they did it, I am confident they did as I placed them in the car. Could this have happened on when trying to balance the wheels?

There also seem to be a lot of weights on, far more than the last set of the same tyres! Which I commented on when I picked up one of the wheels! What do people think?

To make matters worse when trying to test fit the rears having asked them to place the weights where they had been placed previously, as the calipers are tight and they would not rotate because of the position of the weights on the inside edge of the wheel!

Pictures posted below.

Not a great experience!

Thanks in advance.

Gregs​

Wheel 1/sites/default/files/images/users/2861/IMG_1298.JPG

/sites/default/files/images/users/2861/IMG_1299.JPG

Wheel 2

/sites/default/files/images/users/2861/IMG_1300.JPG

/sites/default/files/images/users/2861/IMG_1301.JPG

You will have given clear instructions to the guy at the desk and he will have fully understood, he will then have passed them on to the guy doing the job by saying "Bung those tyres on those wheels then go for lunch." I wouldn't have trusted them to do the job without me being there with the car. I'd take them back straight away and get them to remove the weights and re-balance them correctly, The work is not fit for purpose if you told them about the caliper clearance. Better still get your money back and take them somewhere reputable.

I'm so cynical!

Good luck

Andy

Sorry to hear about that.

Did they say anything about them being hard to balance?

Do you want to pursue them for repair costs, and, if so, did you pay with a credit card?

Jonathan

PS: Wasn't there a very similar story recently, with a good resolution?

I had a similar experience with new wheels and tyres supplied direct from Caterham for my R500.

The balance weights were put on the same inside edge as in your picture, and as a result they fouled on the edge of the de dion tube, and actually got knocked off.

The scoring on your picture, looks like it's actually been done by something on your car,perhaps even the dedion tube similar to my problem above.

I recently had some new zzr tyres fitted to my 8 inch rear wheels, by BMTR in Birmingham, I asked them to balance on inside of the wheels, and they did just that, fitting them close to the outside edge of the wheel.

I suspect you need to get them refitted as the weights in the edge will most likely foul as mine did.!

Also had issues recently with the weights hitting the brake calipers, the garage took them straight off after hand spinning the wheels to test just for this issue and replaced with similar weights but wider and very thin ones specifically designed for limited clearance, problem solved.

The gouging of the inner rim of the rear wheels can occur from road grit momentarily trapping and scraping between the deDion ear and the rim, even if the eeights are not in the firing line. The scrape gives the clue as to where not to place the weights.

Obviously it is not just the tyre which effects balance but the rim too. Some rims start life out of bslance. Others get knocked out of balance through life service. I couldn't help noticing on one of your photos that the scrape mark does not appear to be continuous, suggesting a somewhat out of round rim or relationship of rim to mounting face is squint. This will require more weight to be applied to dynamically balance tbe wheel when rotating.

Hi G,

The mark on wheel one looks suspiciously like unprotected clamping jaws. A friend has just had the same issue with a local fitter and was advised that it was normal. They claimed that with protection the wheel would not be clamped enough to remove the tyre. My opinion is 'B----cks'. It is just slipshod and lazy.

It is best to ask if their equipment will mark the rims and explain that you do not want any damage to any part of the rim prior to fitting. QuickFit Scarborough were asked before they fitted tyres to my Volvo and did a good job. I could see the fitter put protective pads on the clamp.

My other tip is to stay and watch.

I think the positioning and fit of the weights is another indicator that 'care' was one of the missing elements to the fitters work ethic.

Go back and complain quietly and politely ask for your money back.

M

All,

Thanks for your feedback. I have since taken they wheels back to the tyre fitter and discussed it with them, they moved the weights in from the outer edge by a weights width and that has allowed the wheels to rotate. I said I couldn't be sure that the wear was not caused by the car itself.

I have also looked at the wheels and the de dion ears were very close so I have ground some off the backs of them and painted them to prevent rusting and also highlight if they catch again. Just hope I haven't taken too muchg off!

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Gregs

The radial scratches on the rear wheels are caused by the small clearance between the DD ears & rim. Particles of grit get caught momentarily in the gap hence the scratches.

Trouble is there is only so much material that one can remove from the rear face of the ears as the weld becomes compromised.

Something you have to live with.