Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Confirmed - Club track day at Anglesey - Friday 30th September 2016

Shortshift

• Leadership Team

A heads-up, ahead of further detail, to say that Dave and I have secured a booking at Anglesey for what will be our third (and maybe final?) Club track day of 2016. 

This is a terrific track for Caterhams, and is well worth the drive to the beautiful Anglesey location for those who haven't been before.

Outline details are as follows:

Date:  Friday 30th September 2016  (immediately before the weekend sprint event!)

Format: 

• As a new initiative, we will be sharing the day with enthusiasts from the MG's on Track organisation - they will be taking a 20 minute session in each hour and we will be having 40 minutes, divided into two 20 minute sessions each hour, for our exclusive use.
  • We will be offering the chance to drive on two different circuit configurations - the Coastal circuit in the morning and the full-fat International circuit in the afternoon.  Two for the price of one!
  • We will start with sessions (two groupings of 20 minutes each, based on ability/experience/car type as usual) but our aim will be to move to an OPL format (applicable to our 40 minute allocation per hour) in the afternoon - so long as everyone is comfortable with this.

Features: we will be aiming to build upon the social side (hopefully a curry get-together in the evening before the track day), continuing with our initiatives to encourage newcomers and to build the active-participants list (using the 'buddy' approach we will be trialing at Brands) as well providing free-of-charge instruction.  With luck, we may be able to offer 'Hot Laps' if I can persuade Caterham Cars to travel to the circuit...

Cost: provisionally at £175 with further nominal charges, as usual, for additional drivers and passengers.

Further detail will be posted online and published in Low Flying in due course, and we will also create an Event in the online Calendar with links to the relevant forms, but for now get that date in your diaries - this should be a cracking event!

James

Meteor will be along to lend advice and comment if requested.

Might be able to bring along some dampers for people to see so they can add them to the Christmas list for Santa.

I will gladly help out for the day also.

If somehow I can squeeze half a dozen laps in that will be cool.  Happy to take people for rides also.

• Leadership Team

I can only echo James' and others' comments. Anglesey is a superb venue with the option of different track configurations. It was at this circuit a couple of years ago that a few of us encountered a group of TD regulars in respectively RS8, GT3 and a Nissan GTR. The gentleman in the Skyline later approached me, aghast at how our cars had lapped these quick cars.

He later emailed to advise that the GTR was going and he was off to talk to CC about the then, newly announced 620R - cash no problem clearly.

A fantastic day surrounded by beautiful scenery

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

I am on Anglesey now - a beautiful warm and sunny evening with (incredibly!) a good forecast for tomorrow's track day too (with Lotus-on-Track).  Ten Caterhams are booked in so the various Lotuses will be in good company... *biggrin* 

The only downside so far was the NINE hour journey here from Kent - nightmare Friday traffic *rage* 

• 2 weeks later...

Will try and make it along to this if I can - circuit I really want to drive. Might I suggest if a social event is being planned that we do it on the Friday night? I don't think I'll be able to get two off to get across early enough for a dinner on the Thursday. Also - will be more stories to discuss...

• Leadership Team

"Will try and make it along to this if I can - circuit I really want to drive. Might I suggest if a social event is being planned that we do it on the Friday night? I don't think I'll be able to get two off to get across early enough for a dinner on the Thursday. Also - will be more stories to discuss..."

I think, on balance, that there will be more people coming to the Anglesey area on the Thursday evening (in order to be ready for the start of the track day at a reasonably early hour on the Friday morning) than there will be people staying over on the Friday night after the track day is completed.  I know that there is a sprint event taking place over the weekend, and that some members will stay over for this, but experience suggests that most participants will be driving home on the Friday evening.  We're also keen to see the social event taking the form of being an ice-breaker, so that people get to know each other before the track day activities.

So, at present, and for these reasons, we're planning to host the social event on the Thursday - but, as ever, we're open to thoughts on this in case we've got it wrong.

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...