Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Questions from Aspiring Sprinter

IanJ

After being suitably inspired by the excellent Introduction to Sprinting day I'm working through my shopping/modifications list while my licence application is being processed by the MSA .

I know I'm going to need a new helmet but I think my old race suit and gloves will be OK (FIA 8856-2000).  However, before I take a trip to GPR/DT/Merlin etc I would be grateful if somebody could cast their eye over the attached picture to confirm these FIA approval stamps look acceptable despite their obvious age (2004).  I couldn't see anything in the blue book to suggest that age would be a problem and they are in good condition.

Many thanks, Ian.

P1050679a.JPG.791d7540aa5885f8948e88f68fd01520.JPG

Sorry, another question - on car prep this time.

The Blue Book says that rollbar padding is recommended for all tubes within 150mm on the vehicle occupant's head.  I was just wondering what people's practical experience was with scrutineers for SLR cages.  Do they suggest/insist on rollbar padding and if so, fire retardant or FIA approved?  From the photos I've seen, it looks like many competitors run with SLR cages and no padding.

Thanks in advance, Ian.

In sprinting the roll bar padding is probably not advised on as much as it should be, and whilst many competitors opt not to run with any roll bar padding,I personnally would not recommend it.

The key section within the blue book is that it is recommended, so it is personal choice.

For Rollbar padding there are two main options, if you are considering doing some Racing or International events in addition to sprinting then FIA approved padding is the way to go. This is specifically designed for deceleration in the event of a helmet strike during an accident.

I use mine for a mix of sprints, hillclimb and road usage so I opted for the longacre 180 roll bar padding, not FIA approved and  probably not quite as much protection when wearing a helmet but is more suitable for when driving without a helmet on. tapes on the roll bar facing you so it does not conflict with the half hood. 

Thanks, Chris - that's very useful.  The Longacre 180 paddding looks like it would be a good bet for my intended use too.  My only hesitation is that it stipulates a minimum tube diameter of 1 3/8" (35mm) and the SLR cage has 32mm tubes.  Are you running a cage or the FIA rollbar with the larger (38mm?) diameter tubes?

Caterhamcages are an homogelated design and must have the manufacturers homolgation sticker on them. This is normally a silver sticker and signifies that the cage has been proven by calculation tomeet the requirements whilst using a smaller tube size

I just use the demon tweeks stuff held with tie wraps on my SLR cage and its fine. I had some of the FIA approved padding previously, but its alot harder and only suitable for use with a helmet, so I take the same compromise as Chris as I don't normally drive on the road with a lid on. The open profile longacre padding looks better as you can tape it on. The demon tweeks stuff rotates unless you pull the tie wraps very tight, which deforms it.

I had spotted the FIA approved 32mm stuff Shaun, but the cost did put me off a bit!  Alan and Chris' comments helped me make up my mind to give the Longacre 180 a punt.  I've offered it up and it looks like a pretty good fit so next job is to get busy with the tie wraps and gaffa tape... *thumbs_up_thumb*