Click here if you are having website access problems ×

To change the Engine oil or not?

michaeljclark

Back in April 2015, I had my 7 serviced & MOT'd by the jolly helpful folks at BOSS Racing, and I had full intention of doing some blatting.

About 2 weeks later in May I fell over and subsequently discovered that I'd fractured both ankles.  So no sevening for me as it it was just too painful to get in and out of for 6 months.

I've just had the 7 MOT'd again.  In 1 year, it's done the grand total of: 1 tank of Super Unleaded and 205 miles *weeping*

So I wonder to myself - do I get it serviced and have the oil changed, or shall I give it the once over myself with some spanners.

I don't mind spending the money but an oil change seems like a bit of a waste after only 205 miles, I've checked the dipstick, the oil level is fine and is still a lovely golden colour.

The collective Wisdom of BlatChat is appreciated.

Mike

The oil and fuel will be fine, just run it. *driving*

The only problems might be when an engine has been stood for extended periods (like more than a year) where condensation in the engine could contaminate the oil and aid rust/corrosion on the bores etc. and this depends on how and where it's been kept. 

If the tank has old fuel in it, don't wait for it to empty but top it up with 97 and keep it topped up for a tank full or so as the fuel apparently loses its octane rating very quickly.  I have heard that Super Unleaded can start to go off within 6 weeks but have no idea whether this is accurate.

Im got a similar dilema, although not as extreme.  Ive only managed ~1500 miles, including a club track day at Oulton Park in September, since the last servicedue to the arrival of our baby boy in May 2015. The oil on the dipstick still looks nearly new and is clear.  Im minded not to bother changing it, as Im unlikely to do miles any more miles this year than last, and its Comma (Halfords) fully synthetic oil. 

As suchg my service plan for fluid is just to check levels and top up as necessary.  Dont have much time for anything else at the moment anyway!