Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow crankshaft oil seal......Puller recommendations

Gordon C

I've had the sump off twice to try and cure an annoying leak at the front end. Thinking it was the front banana seal that was the culprit i buttered up with ample jointing silicon without going mad only to find today i still have a leak.

I'm now thinking it could be the crankshaft seal.
To remove the oil seal the Haynes manual suggests using a puller to aid removal.

Any recommendations for a suitable puller ?

Do i really need a puller or could i get it out by other means ?

Anyway can anyone can point me in the direction of a compact puller should i need it ?

With a Brands track day just a few weeks away this does need sorting sooner rather than later *yes*

Thanks Oliver, I have ordered a cover gasket as well just in case

Re the puller i did find this.

Reviews and Youtube footage seems to suggest its a handy bit of kit. I recon with a little care i could get the seal back in without taking the whole lot apart. I'll see on the day what i think *smile*

A smear of grease on the lip of the new will help it slide into place.

Also take a look at the position the seal runs on the pulley spigot, as this after....how many years now, can get a bit worn, might be worth setting the seal a fraction of an inch off the line where the wear line is.

Also worth putting a small amount of gasket sealant just around the leading side going into the housing, be sure all surfaces are scrumptiously clean to make a good oil tight seal. And as Oliver said, "get it in flat" ie not on the piss.

Mine worked splendidly until I encountered a large rock just exiting a bend at some speed, not a pretty sight. 

Nigel.

Nigel, Thanks.

I'm now pretty sure that this is the Crankshaft seal after another static run this morning. Watching closely with a mirror placed on the floor a small weep appeared particularly when at higher RPM levels.

Not so sure the crankshaft will be worn to be honest as this engine was rebuilt back in 2011 to a very nice spec *smile*
All i expect to see here is perhaps a shadow mark where the seal runs on the shaft.
Tis worth a closer look all the same.

I know the life of something all comes down to usage......however was wondering though what a typical life of such a seal might be ?

The only other thing that has changed in recent times is I upgraded to a different oil catch can.
Rather than running a 1 liter washer bottle type of can with oil lines (2off) just dropping into the top i now have replaced it with an 2 liter OBP can. Still two lines going in but this time made more secure by the means of jubilee clips. Third connection is the breather which now has a tiny filter to hopefully eliminate the fine oil mist i had before.

With this new catch can set up is it possible for the oil system to now be running at a slightly higher pressure and perhaps pushing the crankshaft seal out a bit thus allowing oil to pass at the higher RPM's ?

With this new catch can set up is it possible for the oil system to now be running at a slightly higher pressure and perhaps pushing the crankshaft seal out a bit thus allowing oil to pass at the higher RPM's ?

Elie, that was my thoughts although i'm not convinced just yet *confused*

I've taken the crank pulley off this afternoon and now gone back to my original thinking that it may well be the sump banana seal at the front.

There was no cause for concern regards wear between the seal and the crank. No,  when i removed the pulley i could see what i thought was a drip running between the two flanges of the pan and the timing cover.

Times ticking and Brands is just a few weeks away what with the need of an MOT before then as well and limited time to strip it all down again i have plumbed for what i hope to be a quick fix but it aint going to be pretty.

Degreased the lot and applied brush fulls of sealant to the flange surfaces and beyond. Not exactly ideal but i'm hoping as i build up a few layers over the next few nights it may well hold out. Time will tell.