Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter motors: Brise VS Powerlite VS Wosp

jackb_ms

Hi All

My old starter motor is dead after nearly 20 years of being cooked by the exhaust it is not bad going.

I have researched the subject and it seems there is three main possibilities:

The Powerlite RAC430

The WASP LMS430 

Brise C890510PGR

Cost varies between £150 to £215 for the Brise.

They all look very similar, with multi hole flanges etc.

Thye question is which one is best?

Jack

There have been numerous cases of the Brise unit causing electrical problems. I was involved in investigating one of these cases in detail. The starter was causing a deep negative voltage spike which caused the ECU to react as though the ignition had been turned off and recycle the IACV. In the course of my investigations I heard of quite a few similar cases where either the ECU or immobiliser played up. Sometimes the immobiliser would arm spontaneously when cranking. I've fitted a WOSP unit to a friend's car. It looked very well made and worked well with no issues. I've not had personal experience of the Powerlite but I think people are generally happy with them.

Just yesterday I replaced a Brise C890510PGR with a WOSP LMS430. Needn't have bothered, they are identical apart from the adaptor plate they use to attach to the engine. Even then the only difference is the WOSP one uses the Caterham spacer whereas the Brise does away with it. Pics to follow when I'm next on my laptop.

Hmmm... a suggestion here that "the Powerlite and WOSP are essentially the same".

Do we have enough accumulated experience to know if that transient problem with the Brise occurs with the others? Or are we going to wait until there's a suspicion and then apply the oscilloscope? Or move to presymptomatic diagnosis?

Jonathan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Jack .... there is a Brise starter for the Caterham with multi position mounting holes .... so you can fit the solenoid under the body of the starter ..... away from the primaries on a k-series. A friend is fitting this one as we speak.

Yes it does, that is how it is positioned in the pictures above. The solenoid ends up in line with the lower mounting bolt hole, that's as far round as it will go before it hits the block. As a result the lower mounting bolt needs to go through the adaptor plate before the motor is rotated, you can see this in the first picture.

hello

I have tried to rotate the WASP to have the solenoid under the body but it didn't work

Would you still have the Brise adapter plate gathering dust in your garage?

I would like to move the solenoid as far away as possible from the primaries.

Cheers

Jack