Click here if you are having website access problems ×

The old MOT emissions again K R300

Bottrill

Evening all,

after trawling through the search results I took the advice and sent the car for a two week early MOT test. Overall it went very well with only two split upper ball joint boots but then the emissions had the lads laughing. I knew it running rich as it particularly likes a drink over what I would consider acceptable for an EU2 R300 on TBs (and in the words of my wife "it stinks a bit"). I don't have the values to hand but I'm sure he mentioned a value of 9 for the Co2 with very high HC values? Now for starters it has a single re-packable silencer with no CAT so I was expecting it to be higher than normal.

Can any experienced owners confirm a potential faulty single manifold mounted lamda sensor as the first part to replace? The throttle bodies were setup only 800 miles ago by Nick Potter.

many thanks,

Lee

Thanks, just replied!

I have since found out that Ben Ferrey, a previous owner to the chap I bought it off, had a cat welded into the custom silencer, but it sounds like this has made little difference. I have 10 days to replace the upper ball joint boots then apparently they will issue the certificate. I have spent hours reading through old threads about these engines/mapping so it's been a steep learning curve tonight! 

Just wondered if replacing the lambda will help? Looking like a possible mapping session this summer.

Lee

That sounds like a good response! I have recently contacted Ben via PM and he has been really helpful. I will replace the lambda as a start and then look into a suitable map to suit the engine. Caterham parts only list for a EU3/4 lambda and a search doesn't really help with this one, I will give them a call next week.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I have K R300 spec and I am struggling with the emissions test to the extent that I have been unable to use the car this year. I replaced the 4 into 1 exhaust with a standard cat inclusive unit. It has failed two tests so far so I am at a loss what to do. Seemingly no real 7 friendly testers local to me.

It hasn't been used over winter so I have put in a fresh tank of fuel and given it a bit if a pasting to rid it of any deposits. 

What I have done has reduced the emissions but not enough.

• Area Representative

I have a R300 K on throttle bodies and it passed its MOT on Monday. I found that the secret to passing the emissions test was to do it with a HOT engine. If the engine cools while the car is being checked over and that can take 15/20 minutes, then the emissions were bad. A quick thrash round the block or do the emissions on arrival sorted it. It works for me and would be worth a try.

Piers 

I used to get my car through by altering the valve timings via the verniers whilst it was in the MOT bay.

The SS cams give quiet an overlap between exhaust valve closing and inlet opening, so some neat fuel can go straight through the cylinder without burning. I had the proper ( Oily's method ) timings marked on the verniers, then I'd retard the inlet and advance the exhaust a touch. With some trial and error and a couple of fail runs, it would come up and give the right readings.

As soon as the MOT was over, put the cam settings back to the original marks.

When moving the verniers, turn the engine over by hand before starting, just to ensure the valves don't hit the piston.

It's a faff and you need an understanding MOT station to allow you to do this, but I done it several times with my old K series.

Clive