Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Immobiliser won't disarm

WhoopEe

Just changed the battery as the car wouldn't turn over without a jump from my 'normal' car.

But now I can't seem to get the immobiliser to disarm. Pressed both buttons copiously but can't get it to disarm. Car turns over and fires but then the immobiliser cuts the fuel (?) and the engine stops.

The new battery is identical to the previous one and I followed the instructions in the owners manual when I made the swap.

Any suggestions very welcomed.

Engine is the 1.8 K series and the immobiliser is the Rover Key fob arrangement.

Just arm it again. When led flashes steady and slow .... press disarm button. Release and press again ..... and again ... until you hear relay click and light goes out. Then ... and only then ... turn on ignition and press start.

• 4 months later...

Just looking at this thread and noticed that it was recommended to press the disarm button several times.  I have to press mine four times for the immobiliser to disarm.  Is this normal ?  If I set the immobiliser flashing rapidly I only need to press the disarm button once, but when it settles down to the slow flash I need to press it four times.

You need to press to disarm before you turn the ignition on. Best to do it before you put the key in the lock ...... if you put the ignition on and try to start it ... it gets complicated trying the unset ... set and unset the immobiliser !

Probably not a lot of use directly in solving the OPs problem but a useful tip I didn't know until recently ... If when you DISARM the immobiliser the LED flashes rapidly instead of going off (the immobiliser still disarms and the car will start) its telling you that the battery in the key fob is low. I had noticed that one of my key fobs put the LED off and one triggered the rapid flash but didn't know why. When somebody told me this I changed the battery in the one that triggered the flashing and it did indeed stop. Might give somebody enough warning to avoid getting stranded some day.

Teembo, If you have a battery master switch and turn it off when leaving the car then you will need to press the unlock button on the rover key fob 4 times to resync and disarm the immobiliser.

Another thing to remember when using the battery isolator is that the immobiliser will power up in the same state it was in when turned off the power. Therefore to be effective you need to make sure the immobiliser has 'armed' before turning off the battery isolator.

Gentlemen,

once again I am indebted to you all, I have been having occasional problems with my alarm system and wondering why it's was flashing rapidly and requiring on off on off manoeuvres and thinking I had a serious problem on the horizon.

i will now change the fob battery !

(k series)