Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Last L7C Trackday of the Year at Angelsey?

Davesvroadsport

James and I are wondering if the membership would be interested in having the last last track day of the year at Angelsey Circuit probably on a Friday mid/late September. 

The circuit are offering the track in various configurations for us (to be decided) and are keen to give us a competitive price! 

Track day diagram here:

https://www.angleseycircuit.com/venue/information/circuit-map/

Also, Portmeirion is only an hour or so away which is almost hallowed ground for us so a possible side trip?

Anyway - let us know what you think about the venue and date and we'll act accordingly on the numbers....

Thanks, James and Dave 

Your Track Day Organisers

HAVE YOU BOOKED YOUR SLOT AT CADWELL PARK YET? 

- See more at: http://www.lotus7.club/forum/chitchat/last-l7c-trackday-year-angelsey#sthash.mAuYHxU5.dpuf

Why not ? Experienced members could buddy up with novices and help with their confidence my first Trackday was the old Anglesey and it was a very experienced sprinter who showed me the ropes all those years ago 

Having experienced the support given by some of the elder statesmen of sprinting I would suggest it would be the complete opposite and a good supportive Seven friendly environment that would suit novices 

Because that's not what I understood the survey results implied.

Free tuition is available on all Club trackdays from ARDS instructors, and for novices I would suggest the idea of sharing the track with experienced sprinters who are trying to get the best possible time in preparation for the following days sprint might not be the best introduction to TDs. 

It is made very clear in the briefing that the day is a track day and not a test day , over taking is absolutely to happen by consent of the leading car 

anyone who ignores the above is taken off circuit by means of a black flag , warned and allowed back on track , repeat offenders are banned 

You seem to forget that most experienced track drivers were novices once and clearly remember that first time on track . That being so they , well certainly the ones I spend time with , will go out of their way to make it a good day . That is why a Seven based day is a fantastic way to start trackdays as opposed to a sessioned open day when Darren in his Saxo has no respect for anything

additionally Sprinters only sacrifice Virgins at the end of the weekend - up until then we are normal people 

Ian

I have attended a number of trackdays at Anglesey on the Friday before the sprint and do not share your concerns. I have never witnessed anyone failing to observe the rules and the sprinters attending have recognised it is a trackday for drivers with all levels of experience. The track has the benefit of being wide with plenty of opportunities to pass safely. In my opinion this day would be no different to any other club trackday.

I'm just feeding back what I hear from members about why they've not done a TD.

It's not about breaking rules etc, the concerns seem to be that they will feel intimidated by much faster drivers and more powerful cars, and will spend all their time looking in their mirrors and getting out of peoples way.

As experienced TD drivers we may sometimes forget how psychologically intimidating one's first TD can be.

I totally agree about a Club TD being preferable to one with Saxo Dazza and his mates, but what you guys do with virgins should be kept off the track *eek*

Ian

I remember my first club trackday and feeling anxious however, following the briefing and a couple of sessions on track I realised that club members drove responsibly and I felt comfortable on track. In my opinion Anglesey is far better for a novice due to the track width and plenty of run off. In terms of power the majority of competitors have 150bhp or less so there is no need to feel intimidated.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

I'm not suggesting sprinters or club members drive anything other than responsibly, but for a first timer to arrive at their first trackday, probably having driven there, and be confronted with lines of tow-cars, trailers with spare sets of wheels/tyres, competitors wandering around in race suits, etc, must be disconcerting at the very least. It could easily lead them to feel intimidated or uncomfortable, and to then spend the rest of the day looking in their mirrors for fear of holding everyone up, instead of enjoying their day. It could put them off for good.

The power of the cars isn't really relevant as a 150bhp car in the hands of an experienced driver can be quicker than a car with a lot more power in the hands of a novice.

I just don't think it's appropriate to have a general club trackday at the same venue and day before a competitive event, as it will be bound to be treated as a practice day by the competitive drivers (no doubt with the added temptation to time laps).

Ian

These are your assumptions, are without foundation, not based on fact or experience. Quite frankly I find your constant negativity towards club members who choose to use their cars on track disappointing and not worthy of a member of the clubs management team *thumbs_down_thumb*

Interesting to see that no one else shares your views.

Make it a session track day.

I will lend my support for anyone - all day.

I don't need to go around more than half a dozen laps at some point. I would even pay for a day and not use it if it encouraged more track day first timers.

As for sprinters driving to fast and passing people then that's tosh!  The first thing a sprint competitor does when they see a car in front of them is put their hand up and claim a re run for being baulked. *beer*

My first track day at the end of the 90's had loads of trailers and tow cars in it - same now just different faces.  

I think attending one of the club track days where the sprinters were taking part would be a good experience for you Ian as you would see how courteous they all are and how friendly and helpful.

Some may even wish to follow an experienced driver to learn lines etc.

Shall we just be positive and try to add another track day to the club calendar.

I would love to attend as Anglesey is a great track.  Sadly my non FIA roll over bar (which sits miles above my head) is not deemed appropriate by the club.  Oddly, the chap in the white helmet and yellow car on the third tab of images on the home page, doesn't look too safe to me despite his FIA roll over bar.  

<Looking for a can of worms smiley>

Not an unsurprising reaction from the sprinters on here, but you're not listening!

I'm have NOT said that "sprinters driving to fast and passing people", or that they drive aggressively, or are discourteous, but that to a first timer it could FEEL quite intimidating.

And as for: 

Ian

These are your assumptions, are without foundation, not based on fact or experience. Quite frankly I find your constant negativity towards club members who choose to use their cars on track disappointing and not worthy of a member of the clubs management team http://www.lotus7.club/sites/all/libraries/smileys/pheads/thumbs_down_thumb.png

Interesting to see that no one else shares your views.

As it happens Mark, I am repeating what Club members have told me are amongst the reasons why they don't want to try a trackday - and that is the fear of being too slow and holding experienced people up (there are numerous threads on here, and other forums, moaning about just such instances).  I mix with a LOT of club members, at a lot of events, and speak to a lot of ARs, so I possibly have more regular contact with the average member than most.
Many members also tell me they choose not to contribute on here as they get shot down by people with differing opinions. As you're aware, I'm not afraid to debate opinion on here!  

FYI I'm not anti-sprinting, racing, trackdays, or any other activity in a seven *eek* , but I am anti activities by a minority that affect the majority.
Since you raise the subject of MT membership, sprinters account for 2% of the Club membership, yet at present 25% of the MT are sprinters (last year it was higher). I don't think that's a healthy representation of the membership interest, but I'm not suggesting they're "not worthy" of being on the MT.  

For a former Club Chairman to make the assumptions and remarks you have above I find entirely inappropriate and rather disrespectful.

Simon, as for being "positive and try to add another track day to the club calendar", we have had an offer from a member for a new track day and venue, which has been put to the MT. However, it's not adjacent to a sprint so I'm not sure how much support it will get *blah*

As always Ian your last comment looks to the negative.

Perhaps the fact that there were so many sprint competitors on the MT shows that they are not the type to sit back and take but the type of person who likes to contribute and help out.

Just because someone sprints does not mean they have no other interests or opinions.

However I don't think this is ever going to get anywhere as all you see is the negatives.

If a Track Day is held and I can make the event which I would like to think I can then I will assist any novice wanting or needing help advice etc.

I will talk to anyone before hand and even organize a "hand holding" buddy system for the day if required.

I think talking up the intimidation makes it worse.  In a session track day you will be with like minded owners.

The offer of help goes out to anyone - not just for Anglesey.

• Leadership Team

Ok here's my ten ha'penny worth. I am on the MT. I enjoy trackdays. I can also understand that SOME people may arrive at their first track day completely 'blind' and on seeing competition-a-like cars, could feel a bit disconcerted.

I attended my first Club TD in my old Xflow with clamshells at Cadwell. I took a mate, who being very mechanically minded, started helping other drivers with various technical problems, whilst I slowly gained confidence on track. There were regular drivers and seasoned racers complete with be-decalled cars. Everyone was courteous and helpful. I saw the race drivers as a source of knowledge so took the opportunity to pick their brains. I do accept that such an approach is not for everyone.

So the key is in the messaging that goes out with the track day enrolment paperwork. James and Dave are making great progress in ensuring that the pre-TD atmosphere is as welcoming as possible. Publicising the TD eve curry night and adopting a buddy system will help.

We are also looking at Intro to TD options for beginners which will help in future.That said, will all of this displace everyones' concerns? I doubt it......we're all different. 

Recognising that getting the track availability is not an exact science, I support the TD at Anglesey on Sept 30th (great circuit options), but we do need to make sure any beginners get the support before and on the day. Perhaps we could ask if any weekend sprinters at Anglesey, who also sign up for the TD, could volunteer to adopt a beginner? And again a meal the night before.

Rog

Ah there is a problem Rog.  Its well known that sprinters are very much into their starvation and "Dry" pre event preparation so that meal the night before will have to be at some form of salad bar!

On the other hand this could possibly turn into an Anglesey of old where some of us failed to make the track day on the Friday (well until lunch time anyway) due excessive intake of liquid *beer*