Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery charger conditioners

Johnh

Hi

i want to buy a battery charger conditioner for my caterham battery...what's the best make for a fair price?..I don't want to spend a lot to get the same results..I looked at a CTEK 4 step charger at £40.. Would anybody recommend it.

I've got the CTEK XS 0.8 (well, two of them actually, one maintaining the battery on my spare engine 24 x 7 all year round). It will do the things you mention Jonathan ... just takes its time about it. Succeeded in returning the whopping great battery in my old VW Touran 2.0 TDI to health from pretty much flat, but took about five days (and I needed to extend the lead ... *wink* )!

I have found that, despite its intelligent charging schemes, if a standard Banner is left on it all winter it does gas off quite a bit of electrolyte and the battery generally needs checking and topping up with deionised water before returning to service in the spring. Not sure if the bigger chargers would be any worse for this or not. I guess this will be true of any other conditioner too.

Other than that, the XS 0.8 seems to have done a pretty good job of keeping my batteries healthy.

"I have found that, despite its intelligent charging schemes, if a standard Banner is left on it all winter it does gas off quite a bit of electrolyte and the battery generally needs checking and topping up with deionised water before returning to service in the spring."

I get around that by charging up to float level every couple of weeks, which takes around 6 - 8 hours, then disconnecting and letting it sit.  Electrolyte loss is not an issue, and it's ready to go when I want to use it.

• 8 months later...
  • Leadership Team

'The Boss'  has just bought ma a CTEK MXS 5.0 for Christmas, on the basis of the comments here.  Should I regard the Banner battery that's installed as a small battery, and use the mode with the motorcycle icon, or as a normal battery, so use the mode with the car icon?