Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Car causing interference with radios / intercoms?

tomperkins

Hi there,

I have a 1.8 DVA tuned k-series car running an emerald ECU. I have mid range Binatone radios.

When on blats with friends we try to use radios and headsets to communicate. For some reason my car seems to be causing interference with the radio.

Went on a trip last year with a Duratec R300 and a k-series superlight. They could both communicate clealy with each other (they were using Kenwood radios) but their transmissions to me were very distorted and hard to hear.

I then went on another trip with just the R300D recently using a different set of Binatone radios and we could hear each other fine when stationery but as soon as we started moving the transmissions were broken and again hard to hear.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Any ideas on a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Is it just you in your car that is getting interference when receiving a signal from another car or are they also getting interference when you transmit?

If it's the former, as I suspect, and it's a buzz or crackle then it could be ignition and you could start by checking your HT leads.  Try walking away from the car when receiving a signal and see if it slowly improves.  You could try waving the radio around the car close to anything electrical or electronic, e.g. ECU, fuel pump, HT leads etc, to try and isolate the source.  If it happens when the two radios are very close together it must be a very strong interfering signal as these radios are FM and reject noise that's reasonably below the received signal strength.

If the other car is getting interference when you transmit, this would suggest that you're powering your radio off the car and wiring borne noise, possibly alternator whine, is being conducted into your radio.  This can be a problem with some intercoms, most notably the Terratrip which needs a mod to the pc board to cure it.

Paul

Do you have a filter on the power supply connections to the intercom and/or radio? You may also need isolated leads between radio and intercom? Its a case of trying things one at a time and seeing if the problem disappears (or gets worse).

You don't say which intercom system but Starcom sell both.

I have a Starcom based system, with an Intaride radio, both of which are powered from the car. The satnav definately needs an isolated lead for the sound, the power supply to the intercom has a filter, everything else is ok. All leads for music, headsets should be screened. Vast majoirty of noise has gone, no alternator whine either. Interestingly, last year we plugged a usb power lead into the IPod to charge whilst also playing music and this transmitted noise into the system. Unplugging the charging lead solved, obviously the Apple lead is not screened!

Cheers

Andrew

In the more recent experience there was just me and a friend with identical battery powered radios. It's very difficult to track down as it doesn't happen when stationery, only when moving and seems to get worse with speed. In that situation there was interference at both ends (i.e. When transmitting and receiving). Hope that helps to clarify things?

Interference at both ends??  There must be some serious source of RF interference for it to get into the  transmitter circuits.  Daft question but it isn't just wind noise in both tx and rx modes is it?  Presumably you don't get the problem in a different car, and it stays with the same car if you swap over the radios.

Get a battery powered MW AM radio and wave it around the engine bay and cockpit when revving the engine and then when driving at the sort of speeds you're getting the problem.  The AM radio will give you a much better idea of the character of the noise, e.g. whine, buz, crackle etc.and help to pinpoint it.

One other thought, are you using a plug-in headset with the radio?  If so, the cable could be acting as an antenna and picking up the interfering signal more effectively.  If you are, try unplugging it and see what happens.

Confused I am.

Paul

Cheap (consumer/domestic) PMR radios don't work well at speed compared to the commercial/professional ones. No idea why but several people have tried the cheapo "family" radios and found they are a false economy.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this. Sorry I can't be more definite on answers but figuring this one out as we go.

We do indeed use plug in headsets (3M Peltor ear defenders modified to make a headset). The microphones do have a foam cover but I guess wind noise is a possibility as we all run aeroscreens.

I guess the cheap radios is also a possibility. In the first trip I mentioned the guys using more expensive Kenwood radios didn't have issues (with aeroscreens and the headsets I mentioned above) but I did have issues using my Binatone (£40) radios. The more recent experience was also using a different set of similar £40 Binatone radios.

Guess we need to start doing some scientific tests to try to narrow down the possible causes.