Click here if you are having website access problems ×

(Shorter) alternator belt, K series - alternator hitting chassis

CharlesElliott

Continuing with my never ending car rebuild, the alternator is hard against the chassis rail. The belt is 738mm which is a little longer than the 735mm I believe the OEM is, but 1.5mm is only going to give me about 1mm of clearance. Part of the problem is that manufacturers seem to give equivalent part numbers to 5PK735 that vary in length by a few mm which might be OK in an MGF but not in a Caterham. 

Two questions. Is there any other way to create more alternator clearance? I've loosened the engine brackets to mount bolts, I could potentially undo the rubbers as well but I can't see that giving me more than a mm if anything. 

Does anyone have a certain source of belts that are less than 735mm? I have an Apollo, so I cannot go too much shorter either. Something like 730-732mm would seem better, unless I can create alternator clearance in another way. 

Charles

Could you get longer Apollo hoses made up and reroute them so they don't pass through the belt ... then you could go much shorter with the belt. On my SV have the sandwich plate with the outlets horizontal and route the hoses under the alternator. Are you sure the engine mounts are ok .... and gearbox mount is centred ?

Of this works for you .... just take your existing hoses to a hose distributor like Parker, Pirtek, or any hydraulic hose place and they will make them up for you. Tell them they are for engine oil at up to 6 bar and 120C.

Thanks both. I'm not sure if there is enough room to re-route the hoses (and that would still need a shorter belt) and from a regs perspective it might be difficult to get aftermarket hoses made. Alternator belts are free. 

That 730 might be an option, it would be 8mm shorter than the current belt and 5mm shorter than OEM. Should give 4mm more clearance.

Revilla - didn't you post that you bought a belt from Rimmer Bros and it turned out to be a 730?

Actually yes, you are right! You've got a better memory than I have, even for my own posts *rolleyes* 

Just looked back at my emails for the order confirmation. What I ordered was this http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-PQS100840P, so a pattern part for PQS100840.

What I got was this:

Allmakes5PK0730.jpg.35ea9a5d3f4b0c45b0e993c0bc4f6bdd.jpg

I guess that part number is generic for "a pattern part" so I wouldn't like to guarantee you would get the same, but you probably would.

If it's any help, with the belt nicely tensioned the measurement between the outermost edges of the pulleys is 128.5mm, measured as shown below, and that is with an alternator pulley that measures 52mm diameter as shown in the last picture (the camera angles aren't quite straight so the measurements look slightly out but viewed straight on they are pretty close to the ones given above).

BetweenPulleys.jpg.3b4a40909a5543354885c3c8a9a3b9fc.jpg

AlternatorPulley.jpg.797798b2da86c0275639fdc026925f53.jpg

Think I've fixed it. I ordered two belts from Rimmer, one genuine, one pattern. The pattern belt was marked as 735 and went on first. I also undid all of the engine mounts and pushed the engine over although I don't really think it moved. Tensioned the belt up and now I have a few mm of clearance.

Alternator%20clearance.jpeg?dl=1

I'd stick a bit of masking tape on that chassis member. If you get engine rock it will give you a witness mark.

Not trying to alarm you and I think it will be ok as it's low in the engine bay but it would be a shame to have an alternator failure due to it touching the chassis when driven in anger.....

• 2 months later...

Thought I would resurrect this thread.

my car a 1400 ss. Has   the old style large magnetic marelli alternator and with the belt tightened to give about 4mm either way at the longest run the alternator is only about 2 MM. from the chassis tube.

the belt is a 40750 and having looked on google etc I can't find one that's a bit shorter to help give a bit more clearance. Do these things stretch with age? Maybe a new one might help

I am thinking of fitting on of those smart looking tensioners with a turnbuckle type thing at each end as I think that the original Rover tensioner is a bit tatty.

any ideas ?

thanks

John.

I’ve got a k series in a metric s3 with a powerspeed exhaust and with a standard 5pk735 belt the alternator electric connection touches the exhaust (ie melted it a little), so tried numerous shorter belts and found the shortest that will go on is a 5pk718 (with a standard alternator) giving  me a little clearance for the connector and exhaust.

Got the belts from a local motor-factor

John, when I used to run the 1.4SS alternator setup, I used a shorter belt from Halfords. The equivalent I can find nowadays is a 4PK737, same number of peaks as yours but 12 to 14mm shorter. Easily available and worth a try.